Star Trek

Discussion of television, movies, and other forms of moving pictures.

Re: Star Trek

Postby myau56 » Wed Mar 8, '17, 12:15 pm

Honestly, no, I haven't heard of him before reading this article ! But why not ? Let's see what it's gonna be !:)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Snorb » Fri Mar 10, '17, 4:02 pm

I'm getting a little worried about Discovery, to be honest.

Star Trek: Discovery was supposed to start airing back in January (the season would be coming to an end right about now if it met its original air date) before it was pushed back-- twice; first to May of this year, then possibly to September. They're still casting actors... then again, most of the TNG actors were announced in May 1987, and TNG aired September that same year, so maybe I'm just getting a little worked up about nothing.

On positive-ish news, remember the Universe class starship? You know, the two-mile long leviathan of a ship from that one episode of Enterprise that we only see for like five seconds as a 29th-century schematic behind Archer? It's finally a playable ship in Star Trek Online.

(I'm not a fan of it or the other 29c ships introduced last year; they look too fragile and spindly for me.)
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Thoul » Fri Mar 17, '17, 7:24 pm

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if Discovery will ever get off the ground at this point. With all these delays and reports, it seems like they might have jumped the gun in announcing it.

I'm really not a fan of the supposed restriction of only being able to see it on CBS' streaming service, either. For a new Star Trek series, that seems like a case of shooting themselves in the foot. It may attract some new customers to the service, but not as many as they think, I expect.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Mar 20, '17, 12:33 am

Sad news to report. An actor who had several roles in the original "Star Trek" tv series has passed away. Actor Lawrence Montaigne played the role of a Romulan in one episode and the role of a Vulcan in another episode. He has died at age 86. Interesting to note that if Leonard Nimoy had left the show Montaigne may have replaced Nimoy in some capacity. I didn't recognize his name, but did recognize him when I saw the photo of him from "Star Trek".

Condolences to his family. :tombstone:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/lawren ... cid=AARDHP
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Mon Mar 20, '17, 11:37 am

Oh no what a loss ! :( Condolences to his family. :tombstone: :rose:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu May 18, '17, 4:59 am

New trailor out for the upcoming TV show "Star Trek: Discovery" :

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/ ... 101805246/

Okay, I think I am missing something here. The trailor here shows a woman Star Trek Captain, and a post or two above this one tells about the new "Star Trek: Discovery" Captain being a man????? So, does anyone know what is going on with this??
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Snorb » Fri Jun 23, '17, 6:47 am

What's going on with the captain(s) in the trailer: Michelle Yeoh plays Phillippa Georgiou, captain of the USS Shenzhou. Jason Issacs plays Gabriel Lorca, captain of the USS Discovery. Sonequa Martin-Green plays Lieutenant Commander Michael Burnham (yes, her name is Michael). From what I can tell, Burnham is the second-in-command on the Shenzhou, and Georgiou's recommending her for command.

Then again, Jason Issacs said he's spent a "lot of time in makeup effects," so something tells me that we're gonna see Burnham transfer over to the Discovery, serve as Lorca's first officer, and get bumped up to the ship's commanding officer when a transporter "accident" gets arranged for Captain Lorca Lorca gets killed, possibly by the Klingons. (This would make Georgiou and Lorca captains by rank; Burnham would be captain by privilege. Everyone would still call her "Captain Burnham," even though she isn't ranked as a captain. The more you know~)

Anyway, today I have a picture for you guys. This picture is one of the reasons why Discovery got delayed to September 24th; apparently some of the details in the DSC-era Starfleet uniform had to be 3D-printed in Switzerland.

This is the new for 2255 Starfleet uniform. It looks like a nice evolution of the Enterprise-era uniform from 2151-2161 (regrettably, you don't get a good look at the post-ENT uniform in Star Trek Beyond, so I can't judge) and, of course, makes some interesting changes. The biggest change of all, surprisingly, is the division color on the uniform.

That's right. Red, blue, and yellow aren't the division colors anymore. All the uniforms are blue; shoulder braid, trouser striping, the Starfleet delta, metal details on the boots, and the Starfleet delta mesh on the jacket are now what indicates a Starfleet officer's division. Interestingly, the colors seem to hint at the division colors from Enterprise/The Original Series: Gold details replace command yellow, silver details replace science blue, and copper details replace operations/engineering red. Rank is now stamped into the Starfleet delta. You can see it in the linked image; the rank bumps seem to be modeled after the TNG/DS9/VOY/STO rank pips.

In addition, here's another picture,of Captain Georgiou and Lieutenant Burnham wearing tactical excursion uniforms. You can see a utility belt with a communicator holster and a phaser holster strapped at the leg, and I believe that vest might actually be body armor (a rarity on Star Trek.)
Last edited by Snorb on Fri Jun 23, '17, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read my social stuff!

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Postby Snorb » Sat Jul 22, '17, 1:22 pm

All right, everyone. As promised, here's some pictures of the Star Trek: Discovery uniforms and props!

The DSC standard duty uniform. From left to right, we have a science division uniform, a command division uniform, and a captain's uniform. The captain's jacket has additional gold striping on the shoulders, similar to epaulets.

As a side note, I'll mention that despite being an immediate prequel to The Original Series, the Discovery uniforms do not have skirts for female officers. That's right. Everyone wears pants in 2255!

A better picture of the captain's jacket. The four bumps on the Starfleet delta indicate rank, similar to the rank pips on the collar of the TNG/VOY/First Contact uniform.

Closeup of the duty uniform boots. The clasps on the boots and the metallic bands on the boots also indicate division color.

An alternate duty uniform jumpsuit, in engineering division copper. Note the short sleeves and alternate detailing on the torso. (Which might make cosplayers happy.)

A better picture of the duty jumpsuit; this picture helped me realize it's a jumpsuit.

Discovery medical officer uniform. It's the same basic pattern as the duty uniform, except in white with black 3D-printed Starfleet deltas.

A picture of the full medical uniform.

Closeup of the Starfleet deltas on the medical uniform.

Closeup of the medical uniform boots.

The DSC tactical uniform. The tactical uniform removes the division color-coding and the offset collar, replacing it with an armored tactical vest. The devices on each shoulder are laser flashlights.

Detail of the patterning on the tactical vest, as well as the Starfleet Command insignia.

Closeup of a commander rank badge, in command gold.

Closeup of a lieutenant (junior grade) rank badge, in science/medical silver.

Closeup of a lieutenant rank badge, in engineering/operations copper.

The DSC-era EVA suit. The suit, according to the article I'm getting this from, was made from high-density foam clad in fiberglass, which fits clamshell over the actor's torso. The helmet's lens was made from a 3D scan of the helmet base for a precision fit.

Closeup of the Starfleet Command insignia on the EVA suit.

Detail of the EVA suit gauntlet and leggings. I just noticed the Starfleet delta pattern on the thighs.

Closeup of the EVA suit's boots.

The DSC-era tricorder. Looks similar to the TOS tricorder. The screen on the tricorder is a smartphone that plays looped video for the camera. In the background, you can see some Starfleet insignia badges.

The back of the tricorder. The round recess on the bottom is where a scanning wand is stored.

The accompanying scanner wand. The entirety of the tricorder prop is made from 3D-printed plastic.

Star Trek's come a long way from "the prop guys literally rooting through Desilu's dumpsters for leftover crap to use," hasn't it?

The DSC-era communicator. Flip-top antenna grid just like Kirk's, the communicator props are made from milled aluminum.

A picture of the communicator and tricorder props, with rankless Starfleet badges behind them. From left to right: Command division, science division, engineering/operations division, medical division.

The DSC-era phaser pistol. There isn't a whole lot of info on this prop.

The top of the phaser pistol. I think this might be toggle switches for the stun/kill settings and beam/pulse. No word if the kill setting disintegrates its unfortunate target like in Kirk's time.

Phaser pistol barrel apertures. These might be like I said before, beam/pulse/wide angle settings.

The DSC-era phaser rifle. Does not have a trigger guard, but does have a scope up top. I would have thought there'd be a way to sling this onto the tactical vest, but it doesn't look like it.
Last edited by Snorb on Sat Jul 22, '17, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read my social stuff!

Play my games!

Snorb

Postby Darkil » Sat Jul 22, '17, 1:53 pm

I must admit, those uniforms and props look sharp. I'm becoming more intrigued with Discovery everyday.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Snorb » Mon Jul 24, '17, 5:16 am

Yep. I'm liking Discovery's aesthetic so far; haven't really seen a good shot of the USS Discovery herself in action, though.

Just think. Fifty years ago, the uniforms were velour because it was cheap and easy to work with, and the prop guys had to dumpster dive at the studio to get propmaking material. Now, prop guys can 3D print props, and the uniforms are custom-dyed in Switzerland and accented with 3D-printed details. Trek's come a hell of a way.
Read my social stuff!

Play my games!

Snorb

PreviousNext

Return to Screen Scene