Star Trek

Discussion of television, movies, and other forms of moving pictures.

Re: Star Trek

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Dec 9, '15, 6:47 am

Just saw this news about an actress passing away who played a part in "Star Trek: The Next Generation. I don't remember her, but maybe someone else does. Anyway, condolences to her family and "Star Trek" fans:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/karen- ... cid=AARDHP

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jan 4, '16, 12:46 am

The United States Post Office will be honoring "Star Trek's" 50th anniversary with some new stamps:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/postal-releasi ... 19106.html

These all look so cool! Will have to try and get some of them.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Snorb » Mon Jan 4, '16, 9:08 pm

The Yahoo article doesn't have a thumbnail of the red stamp (silhouette of a crewman in a transporter beam) but the US Postal Service site does; they look nice! I dig the retro 60s-style designs.

Also, I'm looking through the really old (1983!) Star Trek Roleplaying Game FASA (the BattleTech and Shadowrun folks) released back in the day; it was an interesting time for Star Trek, back when all there was were two movies and two TV series (The Original Series and The Animated Series; TNG was four years later!)
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jun 4, '16, 5:45 pm

Felt it worth a quick and honorable mention here that yesterday, June 3 was the anniversary of the last airing of the original "Star Trek" series back in 1969. Although it has been seen in many reruns over the years.

Hard to believe that a show so popular and one that has lasted for nearly 50 years in many various forms such as TV show spin-offs, movies, video games, and other venues, only aired for 3 years before being canceled. What were they thinking?

On the other hand, it shows you just how well and how loud the fan viewership can be to help keep a show going in various forms for so many years!! Kudos to all Trekkies! :clap:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jun 10, '16, 9:42 pm

Saw this short article on actress Kate Mulgrew (formerly Captain Janeway in "Star Trek: Voyager") and thought some might enjoy reading it also. It is always nice to see and hear what our former Star Trek actors are doing these days. I didn't know she was on another tv series. Has anyone watched it?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/o ... cid=AARDHP

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Snorb » Sun Jun 12, '16, 5:49 am

An interesting video I found on Reddit: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Picardo (the Doctor), and Garret Wang (Ensign Harry Kim) take you the viewer on a guided tour of the Star Trek: Voyager sets back in 1995!

(Slight nerd moment: Garret's slightly wrong about one detail in the transporter room set. The glass discs in the chamber ceiling aren't from The Motion Picture. They're actually the discs from the transporter room floor from The Original Series.)
Read my social stuff!

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jun 20, '16, 1:25 am

Just read some news that the actor who played the role of Chekov in the new "Star Trek" films, Anton Yelchin, has died in an automobile accident. He was only 27 years young.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/st ... cid=AARDHP

Condolences to his family and to the "Star Trek" family everywhere. :tombstone:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Snorb » Mon Jun 20, '16, 3:30 am

Even worse is that today is Zoe Saldana's birthday, too =(

Al Rivera (Star Trek Online's lead designer) said that memorial flags were raised in-game for Anton, and his name will be added to the To Absent Friends memorial at Earth Spacedock. =(
Read my social stuff!

Play my games!

Snorb

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jun 21, '16, 3:00 am

Snorb wrote:Even worse is that today is Zoe Saldana's birthday, too =(

Al Rivera (Star Trek Online's lead designer) said that memorial flags were raised in-game for Anton, and his name will be added to the To Absent Friends memorial at Earth Spacedock. =(

Sounds like an honorable tribute to have his name added to the list and raising the flags. I wonder how many names are on that memorial now?

Oh yes, I heard on the news that the car involved in this accident is on a recall list, so not sure what may happen in the future regarding that, if anything, since there is a death involved now.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Snorb » Wed Jun 22, '16, 3:36 am

Quick update: Anton Yelchin's name was added to the physical model of To Absent Friends on STO's test server; it'll be appearing on the main server sometime this week, along with the first batch of Alternate Universe Kelvin Timeline content.

I'm also updating the post I made a couple pages ago to add Anton's quote that appears when you examine the memorial. (When I figure out how to add screenshots from Steam into a post, I'll post the memorial flag screenshots I took.)
Read my social stuff!

Play my games!

Snorb

PreviousNext

Return to Screen Scene