China buys AMC

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

China buys AMC

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu May 24, '12, 3:32 pm

A group in China has bought the AMC movie theater chain:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/21/business/ ... ?hpt=hp_t3

I suppose this is a good deal for all involved, however, I can not help but feel a little let down because of it. Guess I'm old-fashioned or something, but I think US businesses, etc., should stay USA owned. It is beginning to seem that more businneses in the USA are owned by foreigners than they are by USA residents. Also, I can not help but feel that is one more reason that may be contributing somewhat to the harsh economy we have now in the USA. Right or wrong, that's the way I feel.

Also, what's up with all the other deals involving various movies (such as IronMan) and China lately?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: China buys AMC

Postby Thoul » Fri May 25, '12, 3:45 am

AMC... isn't that short for American Movie Classics? I wonder if the company will be changing their name at some point, since they're moving to a more global initiative.

As for movies being made in China... well, it's just business. They get monetary bonuses of some kind. I couldn't tell you specifics, but I'm sure there are lower costs to make the film there and probably some kind of extra funding. It may actually be fitting for Iron Man 3 to be filmed at least partially in China. There is a lot of speculation that the villain in that movie will be Iron Man's arch nemesis, the Mandarin. The Mandarin is, of course, from China.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Feature Films