Star Ocean

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Star Ocean

Postby Thoul » Thu Mar 5, '09, 12:30 am

I've been seeing TV spots for the new Star Ocean game, so I guess it's out now. It's the fourth game in the series, right? I've lost track with all the remakes. Anyone planning to pick it up? My understanding is that it's an Xbox exclusive, so I'll probably get it at some point. I need another RPG for that system.

Although, I suppose I should finish Till the End of Time first. I got pretty far in that game before getting distracted away from it. The battle system was nice, but the item creation (or was it just cooking? I don't recall) was very time consuming.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Snorb » Thu Mar 5, '09, 5:19 am

Star Ocean IV: The Last Hope. ^_^ ...Which takes place 300 years before Star Ocean/Star Ocean: First Departure.

I'm planning on getting it when I get paid next- my Xbox time's gonna be divided nicely between Prince of Persia 7, Tales of Vesperia, and this. Wheeee!
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Lucas » Thu Mar 5, '09, 7:20 am

I've never played anyof the Star Ocean games. They all seem to carry high prices and are quite rare. :blank:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby LordShibas » Thu Mar 5, '09, 5:02 pm

I'll get it at some point, but it's not a priority.

The Star Ocean series is rather unique to me. You see, I have every game released in the US under the Star Ocean name aside from The Last Hope:

Star Ocean First Departure (PSP)
Star Ocean the Second Story (PS)
Star Ocean the Second Evolution (PSP)
Star Ocean Till the End of Time (PS2)

Yet, I have never played a single one of them. No idea why. They just never came up as a priority to me. I hear they are good though :wink:
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Thu Mar 5, '09, 5:59 pm

OH Star Ocean the 2nd story is AWESOME! I hold it in high regards as far as RPG's are concerned and it's one of THE best on the original Playstation. As mentioned in an earlier thread, Star Ocean 2 boasts 82 different endings. :o
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Thu Mar 5, '09, 9:18 pm

Snorb wrote:Star Ocean IV: The Last Hope. ^_^ ...Which takes place 300 years before Star Ocean/Star Ocean: First Departure.

Oh, it's a prequel, huh? That's good to know. I expected the story wouldn't follow from Till the End of Time from what I remember of that game's plot, so I was wondering what angle they would take there.

Snorb wrote:I'm planning on getting it when I get paid next- my Xbox time's gonna be divided nicely between Prince of Persia 7, Tales of Vesperia, and this. Wheeee!

Prince of Persia 7? Wow, I must have really lost track of that series. I had no idea they were up to #7.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lemina » Fri Mar 6, '09, 12:43 am

Yeah, I had no idea about how far Prince of Persia was. XDD

I've only played one Star Ocean; Star Ocean 3, and I enjoyed it up to a point. The dungeons are long and wearisome, and the battle system is a little clunky when compared to other real time party based battles. There's something about the system that throws me off, but I'm not sure what.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Schala Zeal » Fri Mar 6, '09, 9:29 pm

I'm planning on picking up the PSP versions, but I won't be picking this one up for awhile since I don't have an Xbox. D: I have played Star Ocean 3, but I didn't really like that one that much. It wasn't bad by any means, but it just didn't click with me.
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby LordShibas » Fri Mar 6, '09, 9:55 pm

Star Ocean seems to be a series that polarizes RPG fans. People either love it or they hate it. I've seen boards with users that loathe the games, and I've seen boards with people that gush about the games non-stop.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Fri Mar 6, '09, 9:59 pm

Lol well obviously I'm a gusher but I can see where some people would dislike it. The battle system is different and takes some getting used to and the game is clearly old school enough that it can run 80+ hours easily
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Next

Return to General Gaming