Country Music

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Country Music

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Oct 27, '07, 8:21 pm

Do you like Country Music? If so, who are your favorite Country Music artists/performers?

Anyone here watch the "Grand Ole Opry" country music program from Nashville, Tn on every saturday night on GAC channel? I catch it from time to time if they have some good guests on, and it isn't a rerun.

A few weeks ago they had singer Marty Stuart on doing a tribute to country music legend, Porter Wagonner, on Porter's 50th year with the Opry, which was a rerun show taped earlier this year. Dolly Parton was on that show too, as she used to be Porter's singing partner. It was a good show, but kind of sad since just this past week there were news reports that Porter was in the hospital with lung cancer. Hope he recovers.

I also saw in the news today that Country Music star, Lorrie Morgan has filed for divorce from her husband, country music star, Sammy Kershaw. They are both very good singers. Lorrie is a host on The Grand Ole Opry from time to time.

A lot of different acts come to the Opry. I've seen Lonestar, The Oak Ridge Boys, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, and many others perform there on Tv from time to time.

We even visited Nashville once but the Opry was closed then.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Neithird » Sun Oct 28, '07, 2:09 am

The music is okay, I guess. I never got into the culture around it. Like this Opry thing, I barely know what that is.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Sun Oct 28, '07, 10:56 am

My older sister used to listen to Shania Twain all the time! I think she's the only country singer I like to any degree, as I don't care for any others. And, I know this isn't necessarily true, but to me it seems like many of the singers sound exactly alike! :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Oct 29, '07, 9:07 pm

Neithird wrote:The music is okay, I guess. I never got into the culture around it. Like this Opry thing, I barely know what that is.

Neithird, here's a link that might help you to become more familiar with "The Grand Ole Opry".

http://www.opry.com/MeetTheOpry/History.aspx

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 31, '07, 1:08 am

I used to listen to country music all the time. I can't stand most of the new music released in the past few years, so I've gotten out of that for the most part. There are a few songs I still enjoy, but a lot of the artists do lack a distinctive sound to my ears as well.

I was never much of one for the Opry, but I do vaguely remember a family trip to the place years ago. I think the place we went to has shut down by now, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Nov 6, '07, 5:22 pm

Anyone here a fan of the music group " The Eagles " ?

I heard this morning that they are supposed to make a rare appearance on the Country Music Awards program being held on tv tomorrow night on abc.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 6, '07, 7:38 pm

They're pretty good, but I thought they were more of a rock band?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 6, '07, 10:36 pm

I was a slight fan of Shania? Twain, for a while, only because our youngest, including me would sing "that don't impress me" all the time.
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Nov 7, '07, 6:05 pm

Thoul wrote:They're pretty good, but I thought they were more of a rock band?

I believe you are right Thoul, however, it seems they have done a lot of country too. One of their popular songs was "Desperado".

The group just recently came out with a new album this year. They had broken up for a long time and then regrouped, I think.

Their album "Eagles-Their Greatest Hits, 1971-1975" is the best selling albumn ever in the US. That's quite an accomplishment.

Here's a link to read more on "The Eagles":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagles

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Nov 8, '07, 9:30 pm

Anyone watch the CMA (Country Music Association) Awards show last night? I watched some of it but feel asleep before they gave the "big" awards out. I hate when that happens. :grumpy: These Awards shows stay on so long though. Does anyone know who won the big awards?

Silver_Surfer1

Next

Return to Tootin' Tunes