End of an Era: Blue Burst Closure

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

End of an Era: Blue Burst Closure

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 28, '07, 3:56 am

The end of the US Blue Burst servers has been announced on the official Blue Burst boards.
We regret to announce that sales of new Hunters’ Licenses will be terminated on December 6th 2007. All subscription-based services for Phantasy Star Blue Burst will be terminating on Jan 9th, 2008.

If you have an active subscription terminating between December 9th 2007 and January 9th 2008, your Hunters’ License will be valid until January 9th. The game servers will be made available to all registered users from January 9th 2008 until March 31st 2008.

So, there's a period of about two months of free play for anyone that has registered and played Blue Burst before. After the servers shut down, the only official PSO servers in the US will be Xbox servers. A rumor from the Blue Burst board admin says those are going down soon as well. That would leave private servers as the only way to play PSO online.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby LordShibas » Thu Nov 29, '07, 10:12 pm

What a shame. I never did get a chance to play it. When it first came out, I downloaded it and even bought a Hunter's License, but after I installed it, I could not get the game to connect to the update server, hence, I could not play it. I guess I'll never play it.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Neithird » Thu Nov 29, '07, 11:25 pm

I'm surprised it lasted this long. Once PSU came out, I expected Sega would shut PSO down within a few months, but they hung in there for a whole extra year.

The free week is nice, though. I hope everyone who played the game enjoys that. I hope the private server can handle the extra load of all the people that will be jumping to that after this.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Nov 30, '07, 2:51 am

But PSU has an online connection doesn't it? Its definately not the same game but similar parts? Otherwise I'd think they'd keep it up.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Sun Dec 2, '07, 4:43 pm

Yes, but PSO is old and PSU is a new game. People who have been there and done that with PSO would move to PSU for new experiences. Sega has all but stopped creating new content for PSO so they can concentrate on PSU.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Return to Phantasy Star General