SPEC issues

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

SPEC issues

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Jul 24, '10, 3:09 am

Has anyone read the Phantasy Star SPEC issues? I'd love to see the issue of Lutz and Alis, but I've yet to find it anywhere on the net.

Does anyone know the entire storyline? Or where I can read (it translated, obviously) on the net?

Whoever can help me on this gets cookies!
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Re: SPEC issues

Postby Thoul » Sat Jul 24, '10, 3:46 am

The Lutz and Alis story was a manga printed across four issues. The last two parts are in the SPEC issues orakio_rob scanned. As far as I know, the first two parts have never been scanned. And none of it has been translated at all. :(

It's a pretty long story, if the length in the last two parts is any indication of the first two. The third part is 19 pages and the fourth is 16 pages. So, I'd guess the whole story is around 40 pages.

The fourth chapter was in the final issue of SPEC also, so the story was never finished.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby xellos667 » Sat Jul 24, '10, 4:47 am

If one day I can get my hands on them, I'll do my best to take pictures of them...maybe even scan them (without ripping) if I manage to find a scanner one day...
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Tanith » Sat Jul 24, '10, 6:35 am

You can view Orakio Rob's scanned SPEC issues (7, 7.5 and 8) here, but they aren't translated.

Diana Montoya has translated one of the Phantasy Star stories from SPEC 7, "Third," but it's the story of Neithird and it takes place about 140 years after PSII. It appears to be a story similar to the drama CD. She's slated several other SPEC Phantasy Star stories for translation, including a Lutz story called "Prologue," a PSIII story, and "The Outside Saga."
Last edited by Tanith on Sat Jul 24, '10, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Jul 24, '10, 7:55 am

Thoul wrote:The Lutz and Alis story was a manga printed across four issues. The last two parts are in the SPEC issues orakio_rob scanned. As far as I know, the first two parts have never been scanned. And none of it has been translated at all. :(

Man. That is just so awesome and yet I so badly wish translations were available. Darn it! :(
But thanks for the info, Thoul. Do you know any thing about the storyline, by chance? From what I understand, Alis and Lutz are faced with Motavia's booming urbanization/population explosion. They seem to be pretty close, too, from the very little of it that I've read (a paragraph translated by Rebecca Capowski).

xellos667 wrote: If one day I can get my hands on them, I'll do my best to take pictures of them...maybe even scan them (without ripping) if I manage to find a scanner one day...

You let me know when you do, okay? ;)

Tanith wrote:You can view Orakio Rob's scanned SPEC issues (7, 7.5 and 8) here, but they aren't translated.

I've seen some of Orakio_Rob's scans but this was a real treat! Thank you so much, Tan-san! Too bad I can't read it. :( I had a good chuckle at the last panel of Odin. Is he eating Yakisoba naked? And it seems that Alis and Noah are having a bit of a lovers' spat, but that also might be my wishful, crazed-shipper thinking. ^^

And thank you SO MUCH for that link to Diana Montoya's site... you're so awesome! :grouphug:
Last edited by Rune_Walsh on Sat Jul 24, '10, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby xrick » Sat Jul 24, '10, 9:28 am

Sorry to ask everyone here but... What is this SPEC? And what relation does it have with the Phantasy Star Series?
Gathering people interested in voicing their wish of seeing the PSTrilogy completed, namely PS4Remake done, and localised outside Japan, check here please: Phantasy Star Generation Trilogy Misc Stuff
Let's all join together on this cause, please!
xrick
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 22

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Jul 24, '10, 3:19 pm

xrick wrote:Sorry to ask everyone here but... What is this SPEC? And what relation does it have with the Phantasy Star Series?

SPEC stands for "Sega players enjoy club" and the issues had comics in them, some of Phantasy Star. More info seen here. Anyway, the specific issue I'm referring to is a comic/manga of Alis and Noah, who, after defeating Lassic, have a sort of space adventure together. I'm still kicking myself in the rear for not being a member of this club when I was little. :cry:
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Thoul » Mon Jul 26, '10, 7:14 pm

Thoul wrote:The fourth chapter was in the final issue of SPEC also, so the story was never finished.

I must correct myself here. There was one other issue of SPEC, an unnumbered supplement, after the final published issue. I'm not sure what is in the supplement issue. So there could be a fifth published chapter of the story. And possibly a chapter that was never published, since SPEC #9 was started but not finished.

Rune_Walsh wrote:But thanks for the info, Thoul. Do you know any thing about the storyline, by chance? From what I understand, Alis and Lutz are faced with Motavia's booming urbanization/population explosion. They seem to be pretty close, too, from the very little of it that I've read (a paragraph translated by Rebecca Capowski).

It sounds like you know more about the storyline than I do. ;) All I know about it is they supposedly go on a space ship, wind up in another star system, Lutz learns about techniques, and they eventually return to Algo.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Classic Series