Space Shuttle on another mission

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Space Shuttle on another mission

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 24, '07, 5:20 pm

Did anyone happen to see the Space Shuttle launch yesterday? I just turned the TV on when it began lift off. I never get tired of seeing that awesome sight.

I didn't even know a shuttle was going back into space again so soon. I'm not sure which shuttle ship this was. It may have been "Discovery". I just don't know.

I did hear today though that atleast 6 pieces of foam insulation fell off sometime during the launch, but it is not expected to be a problem. Seems like that is happening a lot lately. If I was one of those astronauts on board, I think I would have a major problem with that. What about you? :roll:

This mission was going to the International Space Station again for some reason. I wonder why we no longer go to the moon, or to Mars, or any other place? After all these years of space exploration and landing/walking on the moon years ago, you would think we would have made so much more progress by now.

Other countries continue their journey into space too. I also heard on the news today that China has launched a lunar probe, I think it was. :?

Comments or Opinions?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 24, '07, 11:42 pm

It seems like they send a crew up to the space station about every six months. I guess they're replacing some of the people already up there with new staff.

So, more foam falling off the shuttle. By now you would think NASA would take the hint that this foam stuff is not very stable for launches. They really need to look into some other material that doesn't fall apart in mid flight.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Thu Oct 25, '07, 3:11 pm

I wonder why we no longer go to the moon, or to Mars, or any other place? After all these years of space exploration and landing/walking on the moon years ago, you would think we would have made so much more progress by now.

I once read or heard that it would take years for a ship to get to Mars. The current shuttles may not be able to make the trip. The astronauts would need a lot of food to take along, plus all the other cargo and science tools. I wonder if anyone has ever even been in space that long. :?

NASA really should have been doing something on the moon by now. I guess it is just a barren rock or not interesting enough for them. Maybe the conspiracy theory is true and the moon landing was faked! :lookaround:

Nah, I don't believe that hokey idea, but getting to the moon must have been the limit of their interest in it. :zzz:
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 25, '07, 8:46 pm

Neithird wrote:NASA really should have been doing something on the moon by now. I guess it is just a barren rock or not interesting enough for them. Maybe the conspiracy theory is true and the moon landing was faked! :lookaround:

Nah, I don't believe that hokey idea, but getting to the moon must have been the limit of their interest in it. :zzz:

After seeing a video that showed the wires/strings glistening in the light and the inconsistancy of the lighting and other things, I do believe it was all staged. :p
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Fri Oct 26, '07, 4:30 am

I haven't seen that video, so I don't know about that. I guess it could have been staged, but I hope that wasn't the case.

Just never say it was faked when around an astronaut! I remember a news item a few months ago. Someone made a comment about the landing being fake to a former astronaut and the astronaut slugged him. :punch: It's better to stay :ziplip: around them. ;)
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Oct 29, '07, 8:51 pm

Maybe the conspiracy theory is true and the moon landing was faked! :lookaround:

That reminds me of a movie where a space mission was indeed faked and the astronauts find out about it during the "mission" and they escape. I think the movie was named "Capricorn I" or something like that. I do remember actor James Brolin (currently married to Barbara Striesand) was one of the stars in the movie and played the lead astronaut. Interesting movie.

Also, they told on the news this morning there is a problem with the current space mission. Something about a contamination in the power system at the international space system, I think. Not sure how they are going to fix that one.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Neithird » Thu Nov 1, '07, 6:01 pm

I saw something about a tear in one of the solar panels, too. There's just no end to the problems this time!
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Nov 7, '07, 5:37 pm

The Space Shuttle returns to earth today, if nothing happens to postpone it. So, we will see how it goes. :yaknow:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 7, '07, 6:18 pm

I heard on the news that this time, the shuttle will be coming in over Canada and the States to land in Florida. They said this hasn't been done since the Challenger. Hopefully it will be a better landing than that one.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Feb 9, '08, 3:25 am

The space shuttle Atlantis was launched into space yesterday. They are taking a European lab named " Columbus " to the space station. I missed the launch. Anyone see it? No matter how many times I see these things, it is always amazing to watch. :hyper:

Silver_Surfer1

Next

Return to Casual Conversation