Space Invaders

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Space Invaders

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Apr 16, '11, 6:17 am

Think you know everything there is to know about the classic game "Space Invaders", well, think again. Here are some facts you may not be aware of:

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/607-5- ... -invaders/

Anyone a fan of this classic game?
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Space Invaders

Postby Thoul » Tue Apr 19, '11, 9:16 pm

You can't call yourself an old school gamer if you've never played Space Invaders. I didn't realize it was the first arcade with a leaderboard. That means the game paved the way for all games with high scores. It had a truly huge impact on the community aspect of the gaming industry.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Thu Apr 21, '11, 9:39 pm

Oh, I loved Space Invaders, though I loved the somewhat similar Missile Command just slightly more. It is interesting that it was the first arcade game with a leader board. I was born in 1979, so I don't remember any arcade games without the high scores. I held a few high scores on the machines at a Mazzio's Pizza close to my home. Um... Tetris is the only one I can recall now.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Tanith » Fri Apr 22, '11, 12:46 am

Sorry for the double post, but I just remembered that Röysopp's "Happy Up Here" video features an artistic take on Space Invaders using lights from advertising signs, skyscrapers and a taxi (all CGI, of course).

Röyksopp is known for using animation in their videos. I always enjoy them, so even if a Space Invaders movie is never made, at least there's this video.
Last edited by Tanith on Fri Apr 22, '11, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby MrKite » Fri Apr 22, '11, 3:42 pm

I am a Space Invaders fan. There was this one period where I was so obsessed with it, and was buying anything Space Invaders-related that I liked, including the japanese only release Space Invaders Pocket for the PSP.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Return to Retro Roundup