Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Space Invaders
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, '11, 6:17 am 
Think you know everything there is to know about the classic game "Space Invaders", well, think again. Here are some facts you may not be aware of:

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/607-5- ... -invaders/

Anyone a fan of this classic game?

Post subject: Re: Space Invaders
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, '11, 9:16 pm 
You can't call yourself an old school gamer if you've never played Space Invaders. I didn't realize it was the first arcade with a leaderboard. That means the game paved the way for all games with high scores. It had a truly huge impact on the community aspect of the gaming industry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, '11, 9:39 pm 
Oh, I loved Space Invaders, though I loved the somewhat similar Missile Command just slightly more. It is interesting that it was the first arcade game with a leader board. I was born in 1979, so I don't remember any arcade games without the high scores. I held a few high scores on the machines at a Mazzio's Pizza close to my home. Um... Tetris is the only one I can recall now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, '11, 12:46 am 
Sorry for the double post, but I just remembered that Röysopp's "Happy Up Here" video features an artistic take on Space Invaders using lights from advertising signs, skyscrapers and a taxi (all CGI, of course).

Röyksopp is known for using animation in their videos. I always enjoy them, so even if a Space Invaders movie is never made, at least there's this video.

Last edited by Tanith on Fri Apr 22, '11, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, '11, 3:42 pm 
I am a Space Invaders fan. There was this one period where I was so obsessed with it, and was buying anything Space Invaders-related that I liked, including the japanese only release Space Invaders Pocket for the PSP.

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]