Woman gets life in prison

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Woman gets life in prison

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Sep 9, '08, 6:08 am

Remember the case of the woman who microwaved her baby? Well, she has received a sentence of life in prison, without the chance for parole, for the crime. This was her second trial, I think. Let's hope she doesn't get another one. I think two trials for the same crime is more than enough.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

So, do you think the sentence is fair for the crime she committed? Or should she have gotten a stiffer sentence, say the death penalty???? Or should she have gotten a lighter sentence, say just a few years in prison, or even life but with the possibility of parole after so many years????

For those that are interested, I think we have discussed this case in other posts on the message board, possibly in the old "Current Events-News Of The Day" thread, or somewhere. I couldn't find it offhand, so decided to make this new post.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Lucas » Tue Sep 9, '08, 8:54 am

For anyone to microwave a child thay would have to be a sadistic and very evil person. If you ask me she deserves everything she's gotten. :evil: She deserves life in jail because she just took someone elses life.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Celeith » Tue Sep 9, '08, 4:19 pm

I remember when we had that huge conversation about this when it first happened. Anyways she deserves it, she just got lucky she didn't get the death penalty. Although she does deserve it.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Tue Sep 9, '08, 5:41 pm

A third trial definitely sounds unnecessary, like they're just trying to drag it out even longer. She did the crime, now she gets to do the time. The last thing that needs to happen here is for her to be released to have another kid and do this again.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Woman gets life in prison

Postby Srijita » Tue Sep 9, '08, 7:43 pm

[face=Times New Roman]
Silver_Surfer1 wrote:Remember the case of the woman who microwaved her baby? Well, she has received a sentence of life in prison, without the chance for parole, for the crime. This was her second trial, I think. Let's hope she doesn't get another one. I think two trials for the same crime is more than enough.

I presume she was re-tried on the basis of new evidence, after the prosecution failed to secure a conviction the first time. But you are more familiar with the details of the case than I, so feel free to set me straight.

So, do you think the sentence is fair for the crime she committed? Or should she have gotten a stiffer sentence, say the death penalty????

Given the appalling nature of the crime, I’d say she warranted a full psychiatric evaluation. However, life without parole (LWOP) is appropriate regardless of whether she is ultimately held at a high-security psychiatric hospital or penitentiary. If LWOP lives up to its name, it should be adequate; I see no additional gain from taking her life.

[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Return to Casual Conversation