Unusual and Unique Video Game Characters!?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Unusual and Unique Video Game Characters!?

Postby Lucas » Fri Dec 5, '08, 12:10 pm

Okay I started this thread so we can share and bring to other users attention very strange out of the norm video game characters. These characters might be unusal because of their appearence, their personality or just becuase they are unusal all together. :p

The character I am going to introduce to you is from a fighting game series called Guilty Gear:
Her name is Dizzy:

Take a look at her......

See what I mean she has a tail and two wings her wings are also alive and can talk, yet physically she appears as a normal person. Personality wise she is definitly not a fighting character she is very shy and timid yet trouble seems to follow her. Also her attacks are very powerful when she has had enough she just unleashes her deadly moves and usually wins the fight. But yeah Dizzy is one very Unusal and Unique Video Game character.

Whats do yous reckon and any that you know of?
Last edited by Lucas on Thu Jan 1, '09, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Dec 5, '08, 3:28 pm

Behold the cute! BEHOLD IT!

Ness

Find me another video game protagonist who's just a normal ten year old kid from the modern world who discovers he has psychic powers, and whose weapons of choice are baseball bats, yo-yos and slingshots. This character you find must also be as cute as the above-mentioned/pictured character. I don't think I could find quite the perfect combination of uniqueness, bizarreness, quirkiness, and cuteness that matches Ness.

Note my restraint for passing up the the opportunity for four annoying puns in that sentence. :p
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Sat Dec 6, '08, 4:08 pm

I'm going to say Myau. Okay, so the "cute animal companion" thing is pretty common. But how many of them are playable characters that are just as smart as anyone else in the game? I mean, he talks, both to people and monsters. He knows magic. He gets right in the thick of things, slashing with claws and blades he holds in his mouth.

Plus, give him a nut and he gets the upgrade to flight. That's very unique.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Dec 9, '08, 7:07 am

I say Cait Sith, from Final Fantasy 7. If you've played the games, moogles are common creatures. But never a cat. Not to mention that some form of this creature is very robotic and is actually being controlled by a member of the company that you (Cloud) are enemies with. So we have a black cat, riding on a moogle, electronically controlled hundreds of miles away by your enemy, and to make matters worse, his weapon of choice is a colored microphone! He doesn't even use it to fight. His abnormally large pet moogle pounds on the enemies with his fists. So yeah he's weird.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Lucas » Thu Jan 1, '09, 7:03 am

Okay I had to address my most favourite male video game character into this thread. For those of you who don't know of him his name is Akuma. He is one of the main villains in the Street Fighter video game series. He is unlike most villains who wish for world domination or get possessed by an even stronger evil. Akuma is a man who was very good at fighting but found his current style usless and lacking power. Eventually he came across a hidden engery inside all humans known as the dark hadou. Akuma unlocked his dark hadou energy from continuos training. His brother and Sensei warned him not to use this energy as it would kill him. Akuma of course didn't listen and continued to use the evil energy in his fighting style. Eventually he was strong enough to control it and was given the nickname The Murder Wave. Because after he found out he could control it he killed is Sensei and his Brother in a fight. He now searches the globe looking for fighters worthy enough to challenge him.

Another thing that makes Akuma uniqe is that he is able to hold his breath under water for many hours as seen in his ending in Street Fighter III. He is also believed to be immortal because he has reached a high plain of mind and body becoming a lord of the Dark Hadou energy of course it is evil however, but Akuma knew it was evil but he chose to continue perfecting it. Akuma has an even stronger form known as Shin Akuma when he reaches this form his muscles expand and his hair becomes white instead of red. He also emits an arua that kills nature usually many trees crumble and grass dies around him when he has reached this state of power. Akuma is one very unusual, unique and powerful video game villain.

Akuma in his Shin Akuma form!

Lucas
Protector
Protector

Postby DrkTr14ce » Fri Jan 16, '09, 5:41 pm

Hmm...I'm going to nominate the only game character that no one has heard of: * Smallwood. It's an older RPG title that was turned into freeware after a few years of release by it's creator. Since then, it's been updated by fans to correct the bugs, and like other old titles (Doom, Quake., etc.) it has it's own selections of mods.

Why this man? Well, first look at his name. If you have a sense of humour, you should pick up on that joke immediately. And also...the guy is a Pig Farmer. Seriously.
A Pig Farmer who:
-Saved a village that worshipped ducks by killing the ducks, showing them that they were edible.
- Somehow managed to fight and kill the creatorof the game for the End Boss.

And a few others. So...yeah.

Oh, and it's great to be back!
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Darkil » Fri Jan 16, '09, 6:02 pm

Hrm if I had to be taken by surprise by an unusual character it would have to be this man :

This is Faust from Guilty Gear. He's ridiculously tall [seems like 7ft to me] and he has a scapel[giant one at that]. He has a very bizarre fighting form and crazy amount of range. Plus he's supposed to be a doctor, but with a paper bag? Ah well at least it's uniqe :)
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Lucas » Fri Jan 23, '09, 5:34 am

Darkil wrote:Hrm if I had to be taken by surprise by an unusual character it would have to be this man :

This is Faust from Guilty Gear. He's ridiculously tall [seems like 7ft to me] and he has a scapel[giant one at that]. He has a very bizarre fighting form and crazy amount of range. Plus he's supposed to be a doctor, but with a paper bag? Ah well at least it's uniqe :)

Nearly all the characters from Guilty Gear are unusual.

Lucas
Protector
Protector

Postby Darkil » Sat Jan 24, '09, 1:17 am

Maybe so but Faust seems to remind me of many Dr's around the US nowadays
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Lucas » Sat Jan 24, '09, 11:55 am

So is that a good thing or a bad thing :p

Lucas
Protector
Protector

Next

Return to Tech and Design