Nintendo profitting from YouTube videos.

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Nintendo profitting from YouTube videos.

Postby Tweeg » Fri May 17, '13, 2:58 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22552756

So first it was Sega flagging and having videos pertaining to key Sega franchises removed from YouTube. Now Nintendo is out adding advertisements to other people's videos which contain Nintendo gaming footage. Not sure which is worse.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Re: Nintendo profitting from YouTube videos.

Postby R-90-2 » Fri May 17, '13, 12:49 pm

Tweeg wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22552756

So first it was Sega flagging and having videos pertaining to key Sega franchises removed from YouTube. Now Nintendo is out adding advertisements to other people's videos which contain Nintendo gaming footage. Not sure which is worse.

The first. Under current copyright law, Sega and Nintendo do actually have the right to remove material from youtube that they own the copyright for, but Nintendo has merely decided not to and is exercising its other right to gain revenue from its own copyrighted material.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat May 18, '13, 11:12 pm

None of it is good, but think I would have to agree with R-90-2 regarding Nintendo. Atleast they are allowing the videos to remain up, albeit somewhat changed.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Wed May 22, '13, 12:48 am

Yeah, at least Nintendo's not getting the content pulled. That's the silver lining in this. It will probably result in a reduced amount of new game footage from Nintendo titles going up, though. I may have misunderstood something, but it seems that the channel making the video can't profit from these videos if Nintendo flags them. If that's the case, people have less incentive to continue producing these videos.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tweeg » Wed May 22, '13, 1:30 am

Thoul wrote:... I may have misunderstood something, but it seems that the channel making the video can't profit from these videos if Nintendo flags them. If that's the case, people have less incentive to continue producing these videos.

That is indeed the case of the matter. Kinda the point I was trying to throw out there. Either way the person who makes/uploads the videos is unable to ever receive a profit, Sega's removals or Nintendo's through ownership rights confiscation.

I'm tempted to make a YouTube account just to do a Nintendo game review video where I only show still imagery of the game in question just to make an example of this issue. Not that I'm opossed to this entirely, because there are plenty of videos consisting of purely and almost entiurely gameplay footage that I can perfectly well understand Nintendo laying claim to.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Return to In the News