Sonata for Lutz (for clarinet and piano)

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Sonata for Lutz (for clarinet and piano)

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Oct 23, '13, 2:17 am

So I finally sprung for a USB microphone. Turns out you can get a nice one for not too much money. Anyhoo, Bragatyr was kind enough to 1) remind me how Requiem for Lutz is my favorite PSIV track and 2) tell me about Audacity, a free audio recording/editing program, and I fiiiiinally put it all together.

I didn't do anything too crazy with the arrangement, just kept it straightforward with two instruments/two tracks. I originally had the clarinet part scored an octave higher, but I hadn't played the clarinet in a couple years and it showed when I first went to record this. :p I brought it down the octave, and I think I actually like it better this way. Also, I may have gone a tad overboard with the ritardando at the very end. Serves me right for trying to be dramatic and artistic.

I didn't use a click track for various reasons, so there's a couple places where I'm not perfectly in sync with myself, and I know there's that one glaring B natural in the piano part about 3/4 through that shouldn't be there. :wink: I didn't do any editing other than a little tweaking of the input levels during some sound tests. (Should I have? Maybe, but I haven't done anything like this since grad school, and even then, I had someone else set up the equipment for me.) For my first time recording multiple tracks, I'm happy with how this came out. May I be so lucky for the next project I take on!

(And obviously I put very little effort into the visuals. Come on, that's not the important part!)
Last edited by augmentedfourth on Wed Oct 23, '13, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Re: Sonata for Lutz (for clarinet and piano)

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Oct 23, '13, 2:50 am

I've so been looking forward to seeing this one, very nice to hear how it turned out! I like that the arrangement is true to the original, and the clarinet is definitely a nice touch. I don't think I've ever heard a clarinet in a Phantasy Star cover, so that's awesome. Actually, an honest to goodness multi-instrumental cover from the series seems to be pretty rare in general. Nice work.

Speaking of the arrangement, I would be curious to know, did you consider doing a solo piano version? I've been looking at the song myself, and it looks like a piano rendition would require a few interesting choices.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby augmentedfourth » Thu Oct 24, '13, 4:10 am

Bragatyr wrote:Speaking of the arrangement, I would be curious to know, did you consider doing a solo piano version? I've been looking at the song myself, and it looks like a piano rendition would require a few interesting choices.

The thought did cross my mind. I did want to try my hand at something with more than one track, and this piece lent itself to a pretty straightforward two-part arrangement. If I'd kept it just piano, I think some of the inner parts and the countermelodies (like the eighth notes in the right hand of this piano part) would have been lost. Unless I experimented a bit and didn't stick to the original arrangement. Or if I grew a third hand. :wink:

Thanks!
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby myau56 » Sat Dec 28, '13, 9:58 pm

I've just listened to this track and that is so great ! I've missed it, sorry for the delay about commenting about it ! Great work here, as always with your different music works, augmentedfourth ! And yes, Clarinet is really a great touch :)
Last edited by myau56 on Sat Dec 28, '13, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Icecypher » Sat Dec 27, '14, 6:19 am

Really liked this one. Both the composition and execution.

Is it from IV? I have yet to hear it. I suppose that IV features a more "standard" videogame soundtrack than II's more electronic music?
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More