Something more dressy.

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

Something more dressy.

Something more dressy.

View Gallery Page

Something more dressy.

Postby Xander » Thu Aug 26, '10, 8:46 pm

Alright I said I had another piece in the works, so here it is finished.

This was drawn to help me try out drawing a full body picture on my new A3 pad and practice for an original piece I'm planning. Now if I could find some tutorials on drawing 1/4 quarter view female torsos I'd be sorted. I'm trying to learn how to do it properly, that being by drawing the outline first then adding everything on afterwards like clothes, etc. Seeing how all I'm doing now is wrong. :D

Anyway, had a bit of fun colouring this one mainly because I got to pick what I used.

Anyway, enjoy. Leave any feedback and such as you wish and here's hoping my next one turns out as hoped. :)
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Re: Something more dressy.

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Aug 26, '10, 8:54 pm

Looks wonderful to me! :clap: You've done a very good drawing here in every way I can see.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Aug 26, '10, 8:54 pm

Any PS fanart that isn't just copying the same bloody image that's found in the game = win.

Check her face out, excellent work!! Man, I have been here what, two months and since then you have already shown spectacular improvement. Don't stop!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby H-Man » Thu Aug 26, '10, 8:55 pm

The face is a strong improvement from the last drawing and the clothes are very well drawn. I'm not sure, but I think the torso or the legs (probably the latter) needed to be a bit longer. It looks more natural than your last drawing, though.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Xander » Thu Aug 26, '10, 9:05 pm

Thanks guys. While this is from the compendium, I figured it would be a good change of pace. I'm not vastly creative so doing stuff like this every now and then keeps me going while allowing me to improve and try new techniques and help improve my understanding as I see how the drawing was originally made. I always have a few ideas for original stuff but it's very hard to do, being so new. I need to build myself up to each one. :p

Plus I've never seen the dress in colour, so it gave me a bit of fun. :)

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Aug 26, '10, 9:16 pm

I second what Aero said about improvement. Very nice, Xan!
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Tanith » Thu Aug 26, '10, 10:04 pm

She's really cute! I like this one. It reminds me of a paper doll, and take that as a compliment. I loved my paper dolls as a girl, and Rika ones would have been awesome! Though I was around 16 when the game came out...

Anyway, this is great! I see a lot of overall improvement.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Xander » Thu Aug 26, '10, 10:48 pm

Thanks you two. :) I was toying with the idea of making the top part of her dress pink and leaving the rest white. But given how I've done it, I can easily go back and do it later. :)

Oh and if you like, a more full size version is available on my DeviantArt page : http://xander312.deviantart.com/

I made sure to try and load it up at a size that stays close to the true size of the picture.. :)
Last edited by Xander on Thu Aug 26, '10, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 29, '10, 3:08 am

You know, I've looked at a lot of Phantasy Star fan art from all around the world over the years. Out of all of it, I think this is the first time I've ever seen fan art of Rika in this outfit. The drawing is great and shows your continued improvement, but you get bonus points in creativity for picking an underutilized source.

As for critique, I would only suggest adding some definition to the wrists or bottom of the palms. Her hands look a little flat compared to the rest of the piece. Shortening the distance between the forward base of the thumb and the back of the fingers, while adding a couple of small short lines to represent the very bottom of the palm, might improve the hands quite a bit.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Xander » Sun Aug 29, '10, 9:11 am

You are right Thoul, but I don't get why so many of the hands of PS characters seem to lack definition. Well I'll maybe add them in later then. :) I just need to add a few lines and take another photo of it. Looks like it's time to dig out some hand pictures.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Return to Artwork