RPG cliches

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

RPG cliches

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jun 16, '10, 11:50 pm

192 RPG cliches

This link appeared in the thread about Lyla's fangame and it gave me a thread idea. The question is, after looking at this list or parts of it, what are you favorite RPG cliches, defiances of cliches, or games that seem to address the existence of the cliches? Or how a game might make fun of a cliche, or do it in such a way to totally bend it out of shape, or take it entirely over the top? Or anything about RPG cliches in general?

Obviously, the game I'm going to talk about is Earthbound. In general, it seems to defy cliches, but it does also do some of them, the real blatant one being the 'Chosen One' deal. But I especially like how it addresses item #5, especially parents not worrying. Earthbound addresses it by Ness's status effect of homesickness, which makes him lose turns in battle. To alleviate it, Ness either has to call his mom who's generally worrying about him, visit home, or visit a sanctuary, which gets rid of all status effects.

I could talk about more, but to keep this post shorter, I'll stick with that for now. Anyone else have one in PS or any RPGs?
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: RPG cliches

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 17, '10, 1:31 am

Growlanser Heritage of War is a game that doesn't use alot of those cliches. It's also generational like PS 3.
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Thoul » Sat Jun 19, '10, 5:08 am

To be honest, I could never make it through that list. I understand that there are a lot of cliches in RPGs, but I can't make myself sit through reading all ~200 entries. Some games do probably hit every single cliche on the list, but I don't want to let that list impact my enjoyment of even one game.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Sat Jun 19, '10, 6:04 am

I'm about halfway through the list right now, and some of those are pretty funny. The "Guy in the Street" rule had me laughing, but it is true. How is it that everyone knows about your quest already? It's especially concerning in games like PSII where it's probably better for no one else to know about it. Yet, everyone shows up at Rolf's house, including ordinary citizens like doctors and biologists, and seem to know he's out there questing. However, since it doesn't affect gameplay, I'm not hung up on it (only when writing fic for it does this kind of thing become more prevalent).

A lot of those clichés should be called game devices, because in order for a game to progress, certain aspects of travel, city and town setup, dungeon progression, magic spell acquisition, etc. have to happen or be configured in a certain way.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Tsunami » Sat Jun 19, '10, 7:14 am

I've seen that list before, and it was interesting to pick out a LOT of games that used those clichés when I was reading through it. I don't mind 'em at all and think they are fun, in a way (unless they make the game predictable). :)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Wanderer From Ys » Sun Jan 8, '12, 8:13 pm

Make Room! Make Room!
There are always more people in a town or village than there are houses for them to live in. Most of the village is made up of shops, temples, bars, secret passages, inns, and the mansion that belongs to the richest man in town.

I saw this list years, and this one stuck with me. It probably applies to every game outside of Shenmue.
Wanderer From Ys
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 18

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 8, '12, 9:04 pm

I never seen that list so thank you about the "ressurection" of this topic : I'll print it and read it in the following days : but I don't think this will impact on the type of game I love for so many years (and will continue to love !!).
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby tilinelson2 » Mon Jan 9, '12, 1:12 am

Some clichés are somewhat annoying, but a list with 200 cliché loses all the impact a more concise list would have. Some things cited as cliché are present in different games, and lead to completely different. Developments, so they are not in the same league of clichés that define important parts of the plot.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Return to General Gaming