Should Sega make a New Gen console?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Should Sega make a New Gen console?

Postby Celeith » Mon Mar 29, '10, 3:39 am

So far the have the (Nintendo) Wii, Ds/Dsi, (Sony) Playstation 3, and (Microsoft) Xbox360, all which play respected games and downloads from their new and old generation consoles. The last thing Sega gave us was the Dreamcast I think.

Do you think Sega should invent a new generation console that would have exclusive, and maybe old games and remakes? We know they have the technology, but they just don't want to spend alot of money (Then we get a wierd looking robot Peter Griffin). But anyways, what do you guys think? Do you think Sega should take time and invent a new console?
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Re: Should Sega make a New Gen console?

Postby Tanith » Mon Mar 29, '10, 3:54 am

No, I think Sega's console-making days are over for good. Their last couple of systems were flops. Well, initially the Dreamcast's sales were fairly good, but then there was oversaturation of that generation of consoles in subsequent years. If they added a console to the current generation it would be the fourth console on the market, and in a poor economy, that's not really a good idea. I don't think it would be a good idea to work on a next-generation console, either, unless they have something really groundbreaking up their sleeves.
Last edited by Tanith on Mon Mar 29, '10, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Thoul » Mon Mar 29, '10, 4:41 am

I have to agree. Getting back into the console market now would be fatal for the company unless they had something really innovative in the technology department to attract third party developers and publishers. Even that might not be good enough; both the Saturn and Dreamcast had a lot of innovations going for them, but we're able to draw enough support away from Nintendo or Sony.

If Sega did make a new console, I'm sure it would have exclusives for many of their first party titles - Sonic, notably. That's not enough to keep a system afloat in the current market. Strong third party support is really a requirement for any system to succeed. I don't think Sega would be able to pull that off. Let's face it, they were never first place in the console wars. Against Nintendo and the much deeper pockets of Microsoft and Sony, Sega wouldn't stand a chance.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby MrKite » Tue Mar 30, '10, 4:48 pm

Yeah, I don't think it would be a good idea. I mean all three of Sega's consoles were great, but in this day and age, if they made a new console, it would be a bad business move.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Mar 30, '10, 7:50 pm

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Sega made a new console, however they screwed up too much and ended up losing everyone's trust. But if I take away what my preference would be and add in facts, I would have to say no.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Schala Zeal » Tue Mar 30, '10, 10:47 pm

It'd be cool if they did~ I love Sega's systems. However, it would be a really hard thing for them to do; they'd have to come up with something totally innovative and amazing. They'd have to offer something that the other ones don't already offer. They'd have to appeal to broad audience, and try to convince that audience that THEIR system is worth buying over the others. They'd have to win over game developing companies as well.
Overall, I think it would just be too hard for Sega to make a next gen console. It wouldn't be impossible, just very hard.
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Tweeg » Wed Mar 31, '10, 2:36 am

Yes, absolutely they should make a new console. They're long overdue for it. And lest you forget they are their own best supporting developer. Release a new console and withdraw support from other companies systems, simple as that.

They have the hardware already designed, the rumor is they're waiting on the components to fall in price so that cost of components plus production will be equal to the system selling price. And in order to trump Nintendo they rumored target launch price is $200. So if they pull this off it will be an instant hit I think. And the hardware specs discussed are very standard PC components, which means, like with the DC before it, they're going to target getting publishers of PC games on board to port stuff over.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Return to Tech and Design