Should Sega go back?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Should Sega go back?

Postby Thoul » Thu Nov 20, '08, 10:38 pm

Phantasy Star IV wrapped up the story of Algo and was the finale of the classic series. Even so, there are many opportunities for Sega to tell more stories set in Algo. Do you think Sega should ever go back to the setting of the classic series for more adventures, or is it best to let Algo rest as it is?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Thu Nov 20, '08, 10:42 pm

Well sure there is alot of stuff in PSIV, as well as the other games that could be explored. How about history with the Daughter computer program and its connection to Wren? Maybe some history on the 2nd through 4th Generation Lutz's? A trip to the past and travel on Palma decades or even a few days before its destruction?
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Lemina » Thu Nov 20, '08, 11:22 pm

Quite frankly, I'd love to see more stories take place in the Algo Star System, or even just souped up remakes of all of the Phantasy Stars (especially III--Love the premise, but the gameplay....less so D:). However, with a probable all new team at Sega, I doubt that we'll ever see a new entry in the series that would live up to our expectations, you know?

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Celeith » Thu Nov 20, '08, 11:25 pm

Knowing the way Sega is now if they did decide to go back and do remakes of the games they would probably make the style of the games much like PSO and PSU. This is why I believe it is up to us fans to band together and create our own Phantasy Star game. Whether we're editing roms to make the gameplay and story different, using RPGMAKER, or we create our own gameing program it is up to us and only us to create a new Phantasy Star game that would impress the world. I believe if Sega saw how all of us banded together they would understand that Phantasy Star needs to return to its roots.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Nov 21, '08, 3:57 am

Upon reading your post Kaloes. I had the sudden urge to make a remake of Phantasy Star IV. Though if I want the gameplay feel the same. I will have to rip alot of graphics... That is too much work for a guy like me... -_-
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Sixfortyfive » Fri Nov 21, '08, 9:31 am

There are a lot of interesting things that could still be done with the Algo universe. The two scenarios that I'd probably most like to see detailed would be the rise of Motherbrain's dominance between PSI and PSII and Rika's story post-PSIV. Both of these subjects are touched upon in the Compendium timeline and present a handful of interesting possibilities.

The former would likely star some of the ancestors of PSIII's cast of characters as they resist Motherbrain's tightening grasp on the Algo system. They'd ultimately be unsuccessful, of course, but would at least manage to escape the solar system with their lives, eventually leading to the events of PSIII. It would be interesting to see how dire things get in the Algo system as the populace gradually becomes more powerless against and dependent upon Motherbrain.

I'd like to see something done with Rika or one of her distant descendants as well. Seed created Rika for the explicit purpose of populating Motavia with a race that could withstand its harsh natural environment, and it would be interesting to follow that minor PSIV plot point to its conclusion. The dependence of the Parmanian race on drastic climate-altering technology is a recurring theme of the series and is never really settled within the four games. Even though Motherbrain is destroyed in PSII, the Parmanians are still more or less enslaved to the remaining climate control systems on the two planets that they are not naturally suited for, and as the events of PSIV demonstrate, this can lead to a lot of problems when things go awry. So, you could end up with a situation several years after the events of PSIV where these systems start causing more harm than good (either because of malfunctions resulting from natural wear or because of the actions of some new villain), forcing the residents of Algo to finally destroy these systems once and for all.

As an added bonus, either of these scenarios would be a nice change of pace from Dark Force, whom I never really considered to be that interesting a villain.
Sixfortyfive
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 8

Postby Lucas » Fri Nov 21, '08, 9:56 am

I would love to see Sega go back to the classics and rest itself back in Algo. Thta would be awesome. Phantasy Star V :wink:

I would also love to see a remake of PSIV and PSIII like they did with the first two.
An anime series based of PSIV would be pretty awesome to see too.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby FreshFeeling » Wed Dec 3, '08, 3:51 am

I'd like to see before Phantasy Star. And I wouldn't mind something between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 mainly because I'd be interested to see the changing landscapes. I don't really have any idea what they could use for plotlines though, what without Dark Force and all.
FreshFeeling
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 23

Postby Rudo » Wed Dec 3, '08, 5:14 pm

By all means, they should go back. There is still lots to be done. The end is never "The end" anymore during these modern times. :yes:
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 4, '08, 7:42 am

An interesting idea for a game between 1 & 2 might be the fall of the Landale dynasty. Lutz said the people didn't think kindly of Alis any more. Maybe one of her descendants turns bad or something, leading to a rebellion and the rise of Mother Brain as a replacement for the ruling family.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Next

Return to Classic Series