Should Parents Time Use Of Video Games?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Yes - Parental Control on Video Game playing is needed.
20%
No - Parental Control on Video Game playing stinks and should not be allowed.
20%
Undecided - Haven't made up my mind.
40%
Other - explain in post below.
20%

Total votes : 5

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Nov 10, '07, 3:50 am

Should parents be able to time their children when playing video games? This may be a feature of the new XBox 360, I think, according to a news report I heard today. What is your opinion?
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 10, '07, 4:01 am

I don't have a problem with parents limiting the time their children play video games, but this should not be done through the console. Sometimes you have to spend an hour or two playing to get from one save point to another. Imagine playing a game like that and having the console shut off automatically after fifteen minutes! :o Trying to complete the game would be hopeless. :bang:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Sat Nov 10, '07, 9:25 am

Its a sort of thing thats definately needed in lost of situations, but It can't be helped usually, my parents had a 1 hour per day rule, but back when that existed all i ever played was starcraft, which on the old computer took nearly a half hour just to start on my last point. Giving me just enough time to save it. XDD Now its down to seven hours a week, however we may spend it whenever during the same week we want.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Sat Nov 10, '07, 4:31 pm

Sure, kids should definitely have limits. If they learn to play games in moderation when young, that will carry over to later life when you set their own limits.

On the other hand, I would be really mad if my console shut itself off when I was five steps away from a save point. Watch out for flying controllers! :duck:
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby LordShibas » Mon Nov 12, '07, 11:20 pm

This is kind of a tough topic. When I was growing up, I was always told to get all of my stuff for the day done, and do whatever you want with the rest of the day. I would usually game, but it was pretty much my choice, regardless of the amount of time I had. However, while growing up, I usually had a parent around, to make sure that I was doing stuff that needed to be done first, and gaming second.

I've adopted the same kind of self discipline in my grown up life too. I get work, going to the gym, house cleaning, laundry, etc... done first, and then game when I'm nice and relaxed. It almost feels like I've earned it.

Back on topic. Now a days, more households have both parents working, and have much less time supervising their kids daily. A timer which can be set on the 360 might deter a child from gaming, but he will more than likely go find some other way to screw off and waste time, so what's the difference.

Honestly, I see few parents in the near future taking time to learn how to program the 360 to cut off their child's play time.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Neithird » Tue Nov 13, '07, 5:52 pm

Those are good points. Parents who aren't technically inclined will have no idea of how to program the console to shut off, and may think they don't have the time to learn because they are so busy already. And even if the Xbox does go off, the kid could bring out their PlayStation or GameBoy or Nintendo and keep going on that.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby lee » Wed Nov 14, '07, 12:59 pm

Yes it is needed but I think that the game should not shut down unless the player has saved the game.
lee
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 14, '07, 8:59 pm

There's an idea - what if the game let you save before the console cut it off? It would be kind of like a save state in an emulator, letting you save at any point in the game.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to General Gaming