Shir Gold - Thief and Thrill Seeker

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

View Gallery Page

Postby Xander » Fri Jun 25, '10, 4:04 pm

My latest PS Fanart piece referenced from the compendium. I had to resize it because it was 200 pixels too tall. :D

I almost had a disaster when colouring the hair as I didn't seem to have the right colour. Thankfully, after much fruitless testing, an accidental use showed me I did have the right one. :D Thank goodness!

As usual, comments and critique most welcome. personally I feel I've done a lot better this time. It seems all those Manga Tutorial based doodles paid off. :)

EDIT: Fixed the wonky eye placement. Thanks Kaloes.
Last edited by Xander on Fri Jun 25, '10, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Re: Shir Gold - Thief and Thrill Seeker

Postby Celeith » Fri Jun 25, '10, 6:32 pm

I like it, the artstyle is great and the coloring is so old school which also makes it a nice piece of work. Just in my opinion and don't take it to heart cause I'm not being mean or anything.. But the eyes just seem a bit to the left.. But maybe thats just me and its imo.. But otherwise I enjoy this piece of artwork
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Xander » Fri Jun 25, '10, 6:51 pm

Not at all Kaloes. It's why I posted it. Besides, I noticed it too, the one on the right is fine but the left one is just a little too far over. I only realised this after I had coloured it. I could probably try and shift it, the colours aren't too bad for erasing so it may be possible, but that's something for later.

I'm thinking of buying some different coloured pencils too. The ones I have are ok but the coverage is a bit rough and I know I'm just 2 weeks into this drawing stuff but it bothers me. Then again, they were kind of cheap. I heard prismacolour are quite a good set to get so I'll go looking tomorrow. Blah blah blah.

Anyways, Thanks all the same. :D

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Fri Jun 25, '10, 9:29 pm

This is another very nice piece, Xander! Thanks for sharing it with us. :D

As far as critiquing goes, I'm a little unsure about the proportions of Shir's arm. Now, I haven't looked at the particular Compendium piece you're referencing in quite a while, so I may be totally off on this. But, going from memory, it seems like her arm may be slightly too short and the forearm a little bit too thin. It might be something to consider in future pieces. :)

In my experience, prismacolor was a good brand. I haven't bought any new pencils in years, mind you, but those were my top pick back when I did. They came in a bunch of different colors, too. I think you'll be pleased with them if you do get them. :)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Xander » Fri Jun 25, '10, 10:15 pm

It's hard to tell about the arm isn't it? :D I know the forearm is a little short, but looking at the compendium image, the upper arm looks almost spot on by a small margin. Then again, the white garment she's wearing is a big longer in this picture than the original too so it may throw your memory off. I think the arm turned out ok as far as proportion goes at least. :) I know it took me a few shots. She had a knobbly elbow, a fat arm and even a little bicep there at one point. :D
I'm just a bit miffed about the hair colour but, given what I had to use, I couldn't do a lot.

Anyways, thanks for the pencil tip Thoul. Glad to see I made the right choice. :) I think I saw some in the art store the last time I was in there so I'll see if they have them in 36 packs and nab one tomorrow, because no matter what I do the pencils I use now just don't apply very smooth or evenly. I actually find I'm happier with the drawing before it's coloured. So here's hoping that'll change. :D Thanks.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Tanith » Sat Jun 26, '10, 7:10 am

Great job, Xander! I've always like that pic of Shir; she may look angelic, but you just know she's up to no good. You captured that same "innocent" look from the original pic really well. Keep up the good work!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Thoul » Sat Jun 26, '10, 4:52 pm

Oh, the white garment (what is that thing called anyway :?) is longer. Yeah, that must have been what threw me off in regards to the arm. Considering that, the arm proportions do look much better and the length of the upper arm is right on target. :happy_marle:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Xander » Sat Jun 26, '10, 5:12 pm

One thing that may make it look odd too is how the arm seems to curve outwards to meet that...thing she's wearing. :D I really should have looked closer at the picture before I coloured it.
And speaking of coloured, I had to actually go online and buy the prismacolor pencils. Noone stocked them in town and finding an online retailer in the UK that did led me to a 20 minute search that ended in just 2 places! :o How odd, but they must be good. :p

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Sat Jun 26, '10, 5:50 pm

Prismacolors were always hard for me to find, too. The quality was worth it, at least back then. There was only one store within a hundred miles of here that carried them, I think. That place has since gone out of business, so if I ever want to get any more, I'll have to order online too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Xander » Sat Jun 26, '10, 5:55 pm

Yikes! Good job I bookmarked the place I ordered from then. You'd think it wouldn't be so hard to find stuff in this day and age. Ah well, thanks for the recommendation again. :D

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Next

Return to Artwork