Sword of Vermilion

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Sword of Vermilion

Postby MrKite » Thu Jan 14, '10, 6:45 pm

Another RPG that does not get enough love at all. This is another RPG I really like, and alot of people think it sucks, and I don't know why, because I haven't found anything not to like about it. I first played this game in 1997 on the Sega Channel (my uncle was subscribed to it), and I thought it was great, but shortly after, I had forgotten what the game was called, and tried looking for it again, and had no luck until I was looking at screen shots of it in an old game magazine that I guess was from the early 90's that had screenshots of it, which I bought and read in 2000, and I bought a used copy of it at FuncoLand (now known as GameStop). On a side note:I also notice how most people always say that alot of RPGs that have a different combat system (like this game does) other than the traditional turn-based combat suck. That makes no sense at all. Zelda doesn't have any turn-based combat, and alot of people like that, so what's the deal here?
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: Sword of Vermilion

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jan 14, '10, 11:06 pm

I remember this game, we had it on Genesis. It's sitting on my shelf with my other Genesis games, along with my not-entirely-functional Genesis. I do not remember much about it, other than liking it. And I remember the ooze monsters for some reason. All the ooze monsters...
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Darkil » Fri Jan 15, '10, 1:19 pm

I thought this game was great on the Genesis. I looked at it more like a Dragon Warrior game more so than a Zelda game but it does favor Zelda some also. It's a shame this game fell into obscurity over in the states because it easily stood up to other games out there.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Ome_Joop » Fri Jan 15, '10, 8:47 pm

I liked the game!
Altough i think the battle system was not one great i wouldn't say it was bad (you had the side scrolling bosses and overhead normal fights).
Those bouncing balls were quite frustrating iirc.
I do remember the music was quite good (intro music for instance was one i liked very much).

Another of those oldstyle RPG's would be AD&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun, which i thought was better than Vermillion but had some similarities like 2 types of fights altough turn based.
Strange thing about that one was that you didn't have a real end boss fight as the game would play that for you (T-rex vs Octopus iirc).
Another thing about that game was that in th end you could save your stats (write down) for a sequel wich ofcoarse did not came....
Ome_Joop
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 43

Postby tilinelson2 » Fri Mar 12, '10, 7:18 pm

The RPG was nice, though I didn't like the battle system. The graphics were not superb as well, but the game was kinda fun to pla, because the battle system was not great, but it didn't make the game "unplayable".
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Return to Retro Roundup