Shadowgate intro piano cover!

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Shadowgate intro piano cover!

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Jan 17, '13, 5:54 pm

Oh yeah! I love this song, even if the jinns are still plaguing my recordings!

I hope to get around to doing some Shadowgate 64 stuff, too. On that note, I can't believe this is my first NES cover. I hope there are some Shadowgate fans around here!
Last edited by Bragatyr on Thu Jan 17, '13, 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Re: Shadowgate intro piano cover!

Postby myau56 » Thu Jan 17, '13, 8:55 pm

This piano intro is great ! I didn't know Shadowgate (but I know the name !) and I'll try to play it :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Jan 17, '13, 9:43 pm

Thank you! Man, Shadowgate is great. You gotta play it! There are an unlimited number of ways to die, and pretty much any random object you touch will destroy you in merciless and creative ways. You can even be slimed!
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Thu Jan 17, '13, 9:52 pm

I think I've already teszted the NES version of Shadowgate and I was blocked very early in the game lol shame on me ! ;) ).
I'll try it again and will well listen to this intro music !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Jan 18, '13, 3:33 am

Yeah, Shadowgate is unfortunately notorious for shutting down the player at every opportunity. I still haven't beaten it, and I've been trying for years. I would normally just use a walkthrough, but I refuse to for this one game, for some reason. But it's a really fun game, regardless. And the music is awesome!
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Fri Jan 18, '13, 12:34 pm

With your description, I need to test it more : I'll try to go further but, this time, with the help of a walkthrough ! ;)
I'll try to play it wth earphones, to be able to listen in a good way all those great musics.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Jan 18, '13, 1:45 pm

Was that you playing it?
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Jan 18, '13, 4:07 pm

Yeah, I'm slowly trying to work on my keyboarding. A lot of times I play the parts separately, which is obviously generally pretty easy, but lately I'm trying to work on developing a little two-handed facility with simple pieces like this. I'm working on a few other songs, too. Right now I'm trying to get ready to record Illusionary World, from Final Fantasy IV.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Jan 18, '13, 4:25 pm

Well, I really enjoyed it, it felt extremely mellow and natural and there is a very simple reason for that.

This is something that cruelly lacks when I write electronic music and remixes: Unless I take a near-infinite amount of time to adjust every single note's velocity, the entirety of my work sounds as if you were hitting the piano keys with the exact same force, every note, every time.

You can't beat the feeling given by someone playing live and you sir, know your live playing well.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby augmentedfourth » Fri Jan 18, '13, 6:05 pm

I openly admit that I've never heard of Shadowgate, but hey, I'm not going to turn down the chance to listen to live piano! :)

This is a pretty cool piece - while I don't know what the original sounds like (I should look it up!), your version of it strikes a great balance between mellow background music and a sense of conflict/urgency to come. I really like what happens with the phrasing around the 1:30 mark, where the accompaniment stays the same, but the accents/emphasis in the melody create the illusion of altering the meter. I saw that you said you frequently play each part separately - regardless of whether you're lining up the individual parts in editing or trying to get your two hands to do wildly different things at the same time live, it's not an easy task, but you'd never know that from your performance! Nice work!

Edit because I forgot to ask a question: just for curiosity's sake, are you reading music or do you play by ear?
Last edited by augmentedfourth on Fri Jan 18, '13, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Next

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More