New Okami coming?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

New Okami coming?

Postby Thoul » Sat Aug 29, '09, 9:00 pm

There are rumors of a new game called Okamiden from Capcom, which is supposedly going to be featured in the next issue of Famitsu magazine. Capcom published Okami, so there is speculation that this new game will be a sequel. What do you think, would a new Okami title be welcome?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: New Okami coming?

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Aug 29, '09, 10:53 pm

I'd love to think it's a sequel as Okami was such a wonderful game, but it really didn't seem to have any loose ends to tie up or any potential for a sequel. Plus, Clover Studios, which produced Okami, went out of business shortly after it came out, so it would have to have been made by a different studio. I don't know if I'd want any other studio to try and reproduce some of the things that made Okami such a unique gaming experience. Somehow, I can't help but think that would be akin to someone other than Shigesato Itoi producing a Mother game. Not sure why, but I do. Lastly, Okami did not sell well at all, both when it was initially released on the PS2 and then ported to the Wii, so I wouldn't expect a sequel to do well either.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 2, '09, 2:31 am

Well, it's confirmed now. Okamiden is an Okami sequel for the DS. It's being made by Capcom and stars "Chibiterasu," a puppy version of Okami's Amaterasu. Since there were no loose ends (I really need to finish Okami sometime), it seems they're creating some for the story of the new game. It should be interesting to see how they spin that at least.

Read more about Okamiden at 1up.

Joystiq has a photo of the Famitsu reveal
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thoul » Sat Jun 26, '10, 6:08 pm

There was a video of Okamiden at E3. It looks like a very respectful sequel to the original. The visual style and gameplay seem very similar. I noticed a few returning characters, too. Now that the 3DS is coming out, a part of me wishes that this game was being developed for that instead of the regular DS. Okami's art style would really benefit from 3D.
Last edited by Thoul on Sat Jun 26, '10, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Gaming