GameStop makes profits

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

GameStop makes profits

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Jan 22, '09, 11:33 pm

Heard on the news this morning that while many companies are posting loses, firing people, going bankrupt, and having their worst sales ever, etc., etc., etc., that GameStop is showing profits in sales this time.

I heard it was mostly because they sell used video games. People seem to be really HOT ( :fiery: ) for used games now. I can understand that with the economy in such bad shape.

Continued good success to GameStop!!!! :clap:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Darkil » Fri Jan 23, '09, 1:17 am

The great thing about those used games for Gamestop is it's pure profit for the store. Whatever companies involved with a game got their royalties when the game was originally purchased. If someone trades it in then the store that accepted the trade gets basically 100% of whatever they charge. It's really a smart move for Gamestop and I too must applaud them for their success :clap:
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Fri Jan 23, '09, 1:44 am

I'm not surprised. Not only do they cost less (usually!) when used, but some games are really hard to find after they get out of the new market. Thanks to places like GameStop, we can all at least have a chance to find the games we missed.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Schala Zeal » Tue Jan 27, '09, 3:33 am

I love GameStop! I used to buy my games exclusively at GameStop and Best Buy, but now I buy some on the internet and WalMart. I still go to GameStop, of course. :D Speaking of which, there are a couple games that I want to sell.

I remember when I was younger, I used to go trade most of my old games to get new games, but now I kind of wish that I kept some of those old games. :blank:
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Lemina » Tue Jan 27, '09, 1:38 pm

Used games are a great deal~ Especially the really old hits that you can get for under $20. Although I think that Gamestop overcharges for some of the newer used games. Still, good deal.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Jan 27, '09, 3:52 pm

I like the whole idea of used games. Usually, they work just as well as a new copy and they're cheaper! I have a lot of used games. Though, my boyfriend recently got a used copy of Super Paper Mario ($35) but he might return it for a different disk as this one has a scratch on it that frequently causes the game to freeze at the opening screen...especially on his wii and mine. For some reason, it rarely happens on my roommate's. But I know Gamestop is pretty good about things like that, so I imagine if he wants to exchange the disk they will do it.

Lemina wrote:Although I think that Gamestop overcharges for some of the newer used games. Still, good deal.

I'm going to have to agree there sometimes. I got my roommate Mario Party 8 for Christmas, and used copies at Gamestop were only 5 dollars cheaper than new copies. Hardly any point at all. And it's kind of odd since MP8 has been out for a while now.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Darkil » Tue Jan 27, '09, 6:04 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:I like the whole idea of used games. Usually, they work just as well as a new copy and they're cheaper! I have a lot of used games. Though, my boyfriend recently got a used copy of Super Paper Mario ($35) but he might return it for a different disk as this one has a scratch on it that frequently causes the game to freeze at the opening screen...especially on his wii and mine. For some reason, it rarely happens on my roommate's. But I know Gamestop is pretty good about things like that, so I imagine if he wants to exchange the disk they will do it.

Unfortunately that's the risk of getting a used game because a lot of people just don't seem to care anymore about their games. I don't know about anyone esle but part of my OCD is keeping my games in good condition. I don't have $40 - $60 anymore to just throw away on another game because I used it as a coaster or a frisbee. I used to work at Gamestop and some of the games people brought in just floored me. Oh well you get good and bad ones I guess.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Tue Jan 27, '09, 10:47 pm

I think Gamestop's used prices are based in part on the popularity and rarity of the game. On a few instances, I've seen them actually charge more for used copy of a game than they would have when it first came out.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Wed Jan 28, '09, 12:36 am

Darkil wrote:
Caged Wolf wrote:I like the whole idea of used games. Usually, they work just as well as a new copy and they're cheaper! I have a lot of used games. Though, my boyfriend recently got a used copy of Super Paper Mario ($35) but he might return it for a different disk as this one has a scratch on it that frequently causes the game to freeze at the opening screen...especially on his wii and mine. For some reason, it rarely happens on my roommate's. But I know Gamestop is pretty good about things like that, so I imagine if he wants to exchange the disk they will do it.

Unfortunately that's the risk of getting a used game because a lot of people just don't seem to care anymore about their games. I don't know about anyone esle but part of my OCD is keeping my games in good condition. I don't have $40 - $60 anymore to just throw away on another game because I used it as a coaster or a frisbee. I used to work at Gamestop and some of the games people brought in just floored me. Oh well you get good and bad ones I guess.

Yeah lots of people I know don't treat their games with enough respect. I've bought a few second hand games that will not work on my slimline PS2 but they will still play on my brother's old model PS2. Sometimes I think it could be the lens reader in the console that stuffs up games too. But none the less you need to be careful with discs. :yes:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Return to In the News