Capcom says the Resident Evil fanbase is too old now

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Capcom says the Resident Evil fanbase is too old now

Postby S4Blade » Fri Jan 3, '14, 1:16 pm

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... Is-Too-Old

Capcom is blaming the lower sales of the more recent Resident Evil games on the fanbase getting too old and has outgrown gaming............Yes I'm serious. Read the article.

More like the newer "action" games that are masquerading as survival horror games don't please fans anymore because Resident Evil just isn't what it used to be. IMO Resident Evil 4 really ruined the series.

This proves another reason why Capcom is suffering financially these days. They are completely out of touch with their fanbase.

Oh great, I just found something else that Capcom is doing too. Apparently they are investing 41 Million dollars into a mobile gaming studio.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... st92067466

Oh Capcom, what has happened to you.
Last edited by S4Blade on Fri Jan 3, '14, 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Capcom says the Resident Evil fanbase is too old now

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Jan 3, '14, 1:30 pm

Apparently, they haven't read the multitude of articles that show that statistically, average gamer is in their 20s or 30s, I think, and probably not the parents' basement-dwelling stereotype. Too old? Well, maybe these older gamers are going to have different tastes now than when they first held a Nintendo controller, but that doesn't mean 'too old' for games. Now, I never really got into Resident Evil at all, but my BF is a fan, and the last RE game he truly liked was RE 4. He didn't hate RE 5 or RE 6, but he certainly can point out their weaknesses and flaws, and he's willing to admit that being able to play co-op with his brother masks some of those flaws. But I do know that 'survival-horror' has basically turned into just straight action, possibly due to FPS becoming so popular, and publishers of those games abandoning the niche to go for the bigger audience.

Investing in a mobile gaming studio…*facepalm*

It seems to me like Capcom is trying to appeal to the broadest audience possible and are giving up the more niche things that made them great. It almost looks like they're doing what Nintendo started doing with the Wii (and is now beginning to bite them due to the ubiquity of mobile gaming). And I'm not sure it's going to work out long-term for them.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Fri Jan 3, '14, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby R-90-2 » Fri Jan 3, '14, 2:10 pm

Another thing is that in Japan, video gaming is definitely something you're supposed to "grow out of" much more so than in the West. While Japan does hold a certain amount of reverence for retro gaming that can be found anywhere, video gaming, culturally speaking, is something that you do when you're young and give up later on once you go into the adult world. Because of this, the stigma of being an adult gamer is a fair bit greater in Japan than it is in the West.
Last edited by R-90-2 on Fri Jan 3, '14, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby S4Blade » Sat Jan 4, '14, 12:26 am

I think getting into mobile gaming is a bad idea for Capcom. They already have a reputation for nickel and diming people with their DLC practices, their mobile microtransaction games could be off the charts.

Yoshinori Ono from Capcom said that they are going to be releaseing a fighting game in 2014, so hopefully they can at least stay on track with their fighting game division.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Return to In the News