Sega Genesis Emulator: Which do you recommend?

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Sega Genesis Emulator: Which do you recommend?

Postby DrkTr14ce » Tue Mar 4, '08, 5:58 pm

I'm going to assume Thoul won't have a problem with me making this here...but if he does, he can go ahead and direct me to the right spot. Or yell at me. Whichever is easier for him.

Anyways, I am aware of most opinions on Emulators here at Psalgo. I, for one, have re-obtained a ZSNES Emulator and use it frequently. (I promise to get rid of it the second I can find me a SNES, though.) It has come to my attention, however, that there's a fair bit of games I'm interested at trying out, but they're obviously on the Genesis. So, instead of just Googling for something to run the ROMs, I decided to come here first and get opinions on different Emulators.

Please bear in mind that I'm looking for statability over extra crap. No sense in having extra little things if it can't play a game without crashing.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Celeith » Tue Mar 4, '08, 6:09 pm

theres nothing wrong with emulators since they're legal so I wouldn't see a problem with talking or asking about them. Personally I use Gens, it doesn't crash, its reliable and what I heard about the others its real good.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby DrkTr14ce » Tue Mar 4, '08, 7:38 pm

Well, technically speaking, they're not legal, Kaloes. They're only legal if you have the original copy of the game, and can prove it. But anyways, thanks for that. I think I'll go track it down.

Care to recommend some games? (Aside from the obvious ones. XP)

P.S.
Did the site go down for a minute or two, or was it just me?

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Celeith » Tue Mar 4, '08, 7:45 pm

only Rom's are illegal, not emulators. you can get emulators from the official sites of the makers. I got my Gens from the Sega main website.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby DrkTr14ce » Tue Mar 4, '08, 7:47 pm

Huh. Never knew that companies would promote them like that. I'm actually curious why, when ROMs themselves are illegal.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Snorb » Tue Mar 4, '08, 7:47 pm

Gens is a pretty good emulator- nice and stable. The only problem I've ever had was running the English-patched Langrisser II.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Celeith » Tue Mar 4, '08, 7:52 pm

Snorb wrote:Gens is a pretty good emulator- nice and stable. The only problem I've ever had was running the English-patched Langrisser II.

I have that game on my JSega, and my Rom, i can never get the damn english patch to work myself. It'll patch a bit but then after it never works anymore.. Its pure evil. Great game though.

I think they only promote Emulators is because they know how the systems will one day eventually die and never work again and so you can play your games on the computer legally if you have the game at your house. But even though if you download a game or games that you don't have then they really can't do anything. If they came to your house and asked you if you had these games and you didn't have them on you all you'd have to do is say a few people are borrowing them. They can't really do anything to you. I think I only have 2 Roms of games I don't have because I lost them back in the great playstation 1 wars of 2000. >.>
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby DrkTr14ce » Tue Mar 4, '08, 7:54 pm

Ah, yes. A bloody war, it was. So many discs and cartridges lost their lives..... :lol:

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby hugues » Tue Mar 4, '08, 11:20 pm

All the PSIII maps I made were done using Genecyst because it allows toggling of graphical planes. Plus it's super fast. The downside is no sound or joystick support on Windows 2000/XP/presumably Vista.

Otherwise, I use Gens for anything else. Great compatibility and sound, decent Sega CD support, some 32X support too.

For the record.. I own a ton of Genesis games and (I think) every Genesis collection sold for newer systems. I only use emulators to:
a) Develop maps
b) Work on new rom or save state editors
c) Play games that aren't available in a collection yet
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Reno » Wed Mar 5, '08, 12:22 am

Kaloes wrote:only Rom's are illegal, not emulators. you can get emulators from the official sites of the makers. I got my Gens from the Sega main website.
I don't know about official sites suppling them, but I know many sites see savestates and Emulator's as being perfectly fine, whereas ROM's are satanic. Why exactly would any person want savestates and emulators, but no ROM's? If you're suppling savestates/emulators to people, you know they're downloading ROM's from somewhere... It makes absolutely no sense to me why some are legal and some aren't...

That said, I've found Gens to be the best, and would absolutely recommend it to you. Everything else is terrible, so that's really the only reason; nothing I've found can even be considered decent when compared to Gens.
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Next

Return to Retro Roundup