Sega Genesis Emulator: Which do you recommend?

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Mar 5, '08, 1:46 am

I personally use Fusion 3.51. It's worked fine for me plus plays gamegear, sega cd, and 32X I think. I have it on my virused comp which won't turn on and not on my laptop though I hope to.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 5, '08, 3:33 am

Technically, neither emulators or ROMs are illegal. What's illegal is distributing ROMs without permission. Some companies are more accepting of emulators and ROMs than others. Sega's actually sold them before (Sega Smash Pack was just the KGen emulator and some ROMs), but Nintendo hates them with a passion.

Anyway, as far as emulators, I personally use Gens. I used to prefer Genecyst for the aforementioned layer features, but I haven't been able to get it to work on Windows XP.

Reno wrote:If you're suppling savestates/emulators to people, you know they're downloading ROM's from somewhere... It makes absolutely no sense to me why some are legal and some aren't...

Emulators can be used with legally distributed ROMs, like homebrew games. The legality of savestates just hasn't been tested yet. They are mostly useless without a ROM, but companies would rather spend their money and time going after the ROM sites so far.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby DrkTr14ce » Wed Mar 5, '08, 3:44 pm

Well, that clears up a few things. And the fact that I haven't gotten mail from Thoul means I'm not in trouble. XD

Anyways, I have downloaded Gens, plus a few games:
Duke Nukem 3-D (Hey, I'm curious, allright?)
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
Gunstar Heroes

Any other reccomendations?
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Celeith » Wed Mar 5, '08, 9:50 pm

hmm, I didn't really play alot of genesis games back in the day, probably because I was into RPG's and sega really didn't have alot to do with the RPG industry. Our gamestore only had maybe 2 sega rpgs when they were selling games. I heard great things about Arcus Odyssey, but I think its only a japanese game, there might be a english version somewhere.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 5, '08, 11:13 pm

There's Shining Force and Shining Force II and the Sonic games. That's about all I've really enjoyed on the Genesis personally.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Wed Mar 5, '08, 11:16 pm

They remade the first Shining Force for the GBA i think.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Snorb » Wed Mar 5, '08, 11:16 pm

Arcus Odyssey did indeed come out in English. The SNES version, Arcus Spirits, was Japan-only.

So, yeah. Recommendations... let me check the folder/my cabinet...

After Burner II, Beavis and Butthead*, B.O.B., Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Columns, Cool Spot, Desert Strike, Dynamite Duke, Ecco the Dolphin, El Viento, Exile, Fatal Labyrinth, Final Zone, Herzog Zwei (if only for the soundtrack), The Immortal, James Bond 007: The Duel, Kid Chameleon, Knuckles Chaotix**, Kolibri**, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker*, OutRun, Panorama Cotton***, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III, Phantasy Star IV, Rolling Thunder 2, Shadowrun, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles, Space Harrier**, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine- Crossroads of Time, Starflight, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, ToeJam and Earl, Toki: Going Ape Spit, Valis: The Fantasm Soldier, Valis III, Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego, World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, X-Men 2: Clone Wars, Ys III: Wanderers From Ys, and Zany Golf.

*: No, really! These are pretty good games.
**: These are 32X games, so you might want to download the BIOS for Gens so it can handle these.
***: This is a Japanese game without an English patch. Pfft, like plot matters.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Tsunami » Wed Mar 5, '08, 11:56 pm

Snorb wrote:(...snippity, snip-snip!) Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III, Phantasy Star IV,
I second this recommendation! :D I've always appreciated Phantasy Star, and I always will, as it's one of my favorite RPGs. :yes:

And Snorb... You're awesome. I loved Beavis and Butt-Head, haha...
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Previous

Return to Retro Roundup