SEGA flagging Shining Force videos.

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

SEGA flagging Shining Force videos.

Postby MrKite » Sun Dec 16, '12, 3:52 am

This isn't really anything new to report, but I didn't see a discussion about it here yet. On YouTube, SEGA has been flagging Shining Force videos, and apparently it has to do with the fact that they are working on a new Shining Force game. HappyConsoleGamer and AlphaOmegaSin have both uploaded videos regarding the issue, but I can't post them here because of the language.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: SEGA flagging Shining Force videos.

Postby Thoul » Sun Dec 16, '12, 7:03 am

Reading up on it a bit, it sounds like Sega is targeting any video that even mentions Shining Force. Even those without any game play or other content Sega has a legal right to make a claim on are getting removed. They are definitely going way, way overboard in this.

If you ask me, I think someone in the Japan branch's marketing division, who has no real understanding of US law, is being more than a little overeager. I have a feeling this is going to bring Sega a lot of bad press and will come back to hurt them. It's definitely not going to promote sales of a new game, if that's really what Sega is intending.

I just hope Sega doesn't start doing the same with Phantasy Star videos.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Sun Dec 16, '12, 11:18 am

Oups ! Thoul, if that's the case..what bad news ! If Phantasy Star videos are targeted too..what a mess it'll be...
But then Shining Force seems to be sort of "copyrighted" by SEGA ? That's never too good...:(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Tweeg » Mon Nov 4, '13, 12:50 am

So they've either stopped flagging Shining videos... or stuff on Nico Video doesn't count?
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19720885

Or maybe they were like me and trying to figure out what on Earth this is all about. A music video clearly... or is it a Toyota commercial.... the mysteries of Japan. :?
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Return to In the News