Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Secret of Mana Remake
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, '17, 10:42 pm 
I'm serious.

This is actually something to keep a close eye on. The thing about Secret of Mana, is that it was originally supposed to be a launch title for the Nintendo CD system that never materialized due to squabbles with Sony, who took their ball, went home, and turned the NCD into the Playstation 1. As a result of being forced to cram the game into a cartridge, the creator said that something like 40% of the game ended up being cut, so we'll have to see how much of that, if anything, makes it back into the remake.

Secondly, the game's translation was one of the rushest of rush jobs- they gave Ted Woolsey only a month to do it, which wasn't enough time to muck around and change the text width, so the English text was limited to the same number of characters as was in the Japanese text, meaning that many conversations actually lost an enormous amount of content- even if it's just a new translation, there's likely to be a ton of new story content.

Last edited by R-90-2 on Sun Aug 27, '17, 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Secret of Mana Remake
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, '17, 5:39 am 
Well. I was not expecting that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, '17, 12:30 pm 
I was not expecting it too ! Great surprise :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, '17, 1:42 am 
I never knew that Secret of Mana had such difficulties! I had dismissed this remake from my mind when I first heard about, but now I'm more interested in it. I want to see how the story changes and expands from the SNES version. The original was great, so I hope they recaptured that magic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, '17, 9:37 pm 
Love the game, and I'm definitely interested to hear this. I had read some time ago that the script was originally significantly longer and that the existing English translation is severely problematic, so it should definitely be fascinating to see what is done with it this time around. Like I said, I love pretty much everything about the game, but the plot never really made much sense to me, probably because so much of it was left on the cutting room floor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, '17, 11:25 am 
I didn't know that there was some scenario more or less cut in the english version :! But didn't know either that there were translation problems too !

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]