Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 10, '07, 9:52 pm

The Phantasy Star games are often credited as being an excellent blend of science fiction and fantasy elements. Do you agree with that or would you say the games are more of one or the other?
Last edited by Thoul on Tue Nov 13, '07, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Sat Nov 10, '07, 11:30 pm

They seem more like creative science fiction if you ask me. Sure, there are fantasy elements, but I had the best "fantasy" feel in PSIII. But yeah, they all do have a good mix of the two in some form, though I think the others in the series lean more towards the science fiction.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Nov 11, '07, 6:15 am

I like to think them more of phantasy. They still use knives and swords and those things after all, even with these technologies. But I can't be sure really, its like they all are a different type, ya know.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 13, '07, 1:59 am

I agree that some of the games are much more science fiction. Especially PSII, with all that technology. I always got the strongest fantasy feeling from PSI. I guess the Greek myth connections and the typical fantasy style monsters are a big part of that. PSII really dropped nearly all of it, but PSIII brought a lot of it back, but that turned out to be very science based at the end. Then PSIV has a strong science fiction leaning too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Heikabuchi » Tue Nov 13, '07, 2:25 am

To be quite honest, I think Phantasy Star takes the Fantasy that you see in Star Wars and the Sci-Fi you seen in Star Trek, and merges the two into a gorgeous, perfect blend. I haven't seen any other game or movie blend the two quite so well. They act like it's no big deal to see a parade of robots in the middle of people that use swords and knives for combat weapons. The big spaceport in the middle of the desert? Yeah, it's always been there.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Re: Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Postby H-Man » Tue Oct 5, '10, 5:54 pm

I'd say PSI and PSIII lean the most toward fantasy. PSIII does become very sci-fi in Ayn's quest, but Rhys' and Nial's quests are very fantasy-oriented. The final generations seem to balance it out fairly well. PSI does have more futuristic-looking towns than PSIII, though. And like stated above, the presence of dragons and medusa kind of strengthens the fantasy feeling. PSII does appear to be very sci-fi, while PSIV is moreso than PSI and PSIII, but less than PSII.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Re: Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Postby Tanith » Tue Oct 5, '10, 8:35 pm

PSI- Science Fantasy
PSII- Sci-Fi (fairly hard sci-fi, too, except for the Dezo dungeons)
PSIII- Space Opera
PSIV- soft Sci-Fi (SSF)
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Return to Classic Series