Newt Gingrich book

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Newt Gingrich book

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed May 19, '10, 5:59 am

Newt Gingrich, former Speaker Of The House, has a new book out:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37399.html

Gingrich is thinking about possibly running for President in the next election in 2012.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Newt Gingrich book

Postby Thoul » Wed May 19, '10, 6:29 pm

Wasn't he involved in some big scandal years ago? I seem to remember something like that. Usually that ends a political career, so I don't think he'd have that good a chance at becoming president.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed May 19, '10, 8:49 pm

I don't think Newt would have a very good chance at the President's job either. I may be wrong though. He seems to be trying to establish himself as a viable candidate but whether he suceeds in that effort remains to be seen.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby MrRoivas » Thu May 20, '10, 5:17 am

Newt Gingrich is the definition of irrelevant.

He hasn't held a political office for over a decade, and has done nothing of note. All he does is talk on new sites and makes money by "writing" books and doing speeches.

As for the scandals, there is the fact that around the time Bill Clinton was having "relations" with an intern, Gingrich was doing the same even, even done to having the same method of "relation" for semantic excuses. There's also the fact that he served his first wife divorce papers while she was in a hospital bed with cancer. He's on his third wife now, I believe who is the same person he was having "relations" with. He will never be president, and never will even be within spitting distance.
How can you hope to defeat me, if you're not wearing any pants?
MrRoivas
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 8

Postby Rune_Walsh » Thu May 20, '10, 6:31 am

MrRoivas wrote:Newt Gingrich is the definition of irrelevant.

He hasn't held a political office for over a decade, and has done nothing of note. All he does is talk on new sites and makes money by "writing" books and doing speeches.

I agree.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri May 21, '10, 4:17 am

Thoul wrote:Wasn't he involved in some big scandal years ago? I seem to remember something like that. Usually that ends a political career, so I don't think he'd have that good a chance at becoming president.

Good points, Thoul. Although, it seems that scandal hasn't seemed to affect former President Bill Clinton very much, or maybe it's just that enough time has passed that the scandal has grown quiter or ceased to effect as many people or whatever, because Clinton seems to be almost as popular as he ever was in some circumstances. I don't know if the same can be said for someone like Gingrich or not. Also, take former presidential candidate John Edwards who was very popular until he was caught up in a scandal and now doesn't seem that popular. Although who can say what his future may be in a few years after all this has passed and had time to rest. My point is that sometimes even scandal doesn't totally end someone's career, etc., these days.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby MrRoivas » Fri May 21, '10, 4:45 am

The difference between Newt and Clinton on this issue is that Clinton never ran on "family values." He never claimed to be holier than thou, unlike Newt.
MrRoivas
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri May 21, '10, 7:16 pm

MrRoivas wrote:The difference between Newt and Clinton on this issue is that Clinton never ran on "family values." He never claimed to be holier than thou, unlike Newt.

Perhaps. Another difference is that Clinton has not really run for any office or anything else since he left office almost in disgrace either. He has been appointed to or asked to do certain jobs, etc., but he hasn't really had to have the backing or votes of the majority of the people for anything either. It might be safe to say that "family values" was indeed a factor for Clinton when he was first running for an elected office and perhaps would be a factor again in any position or office he may seek. The same might be said for anyone whoever they might be.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby MrRoivas » Mon May 24, '10, 11:51 pm

"Left office in disgrace?" He left with a higher approval rating than the patron saint of the GOP, Regan.

Another difference is that people don't pretend that he has any political relevance anymore. Clinton keeps out of the eyes of the press, unlike Newt.
MrRoivas
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue May 25, '10, 11:43 pm

Yes, Clinton did leave office with a high job approval rating, perhaps mainly due to the economic conditions and expansion during his terms. He served during the longest post war economic expansion on record. It seems a good economy merits a good approval rating, which is understandable. He also got high marks for his work on foreign affairs, race relations, etc.

However, Clinton also had very low personal ratings on leaving office perhaps due to several various scandals, impeachment, etc., (only one other US President has been impeached). For instance in gallop polls taken by CNN/USA Today, and by ABC News/Washinton post, The majority of Americans that voted were glad Clinton was leaving office, and thought he would be remembered most for "his involvment in personal scandal" rather than his other acomplishments, and thought he was not honest or trustworthy, and thought he lacked high moral and ethical standards, etc.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITIC ... l.clinton/

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/politics ... 10117.html

http://www.gallup.com/poll/2125/clinton ... ction.aspx

Mr. Clinton is always very much in the eyes of the press as anyone can see from his various activities since leaving office and he seems to have a high degree of political relevance in many circles. For anyone to think otherwise would be to underestimate him one might say. He has a great deal of charisma that has afforded him well in many situations and added much to his popularity since leaving office. He is certainly a very memorable ex-President.

Silver_Surfer1

Next

Return to Leapin' Library