Rune's travels

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Postby newsblade » Mon Mar 17, '08, 1:49 pm

The Guard Rod has Sar, the Mahlay Dagger has Nafoi

This two are interesting. While Guard Rod wasn't embedded with techs by any esper (since that weapon was always in Ryucross), Mahlay* dagger was a brand-new technological weapon created by Hahn (I didn't knew those possibilities but now I found that the Mahlay shield can also cast deban). Hahn's weapons must have been influenced by Rune's flaeli at Tonoe's cave and Rika's shield power. Since Rune was using a wood cane which could carry a small tech like "res" Hahn must have thought that with a resistant weapon could had a powerful tech like nafoi (the techs Hahn choose were precisely the ones he (or his body’s DNA) isn't able to have, but the metal(s) he chose can have it). While going to Tonoe he must have asked Rune how to put powers in solid bodies (objects)... this is speculation but he seemed to be the only one interested in this kind of things at the time.

---
* - Is Hahn in any way related with Baya Malay? At least Hahn's last name (Mahlay) is similar to that. Baya also seems to be a first name since the seller at Termi has a similar name - "Bayamare". Well, bayamare can also be “Baya-Mare (the name of a small town in northern Romania) or "Baya Male" - "Baya Malé" - Baya Malay). Baya Malay (location in PS1) can be a name of a person since Aiedo comes from a guy called "Aiedo Hernandez", probably the person who approximated most to a gubernator at that time.

I have other questions:

The enemy "Shadow Saber" uses a weapon called shadowblade. After killing him Chaz may pickup that weapon but when using it he never manage to cast the technique "deban" like the previous owner. He can only cast death, because that spell turns on automatically with a swing at the enemy. We must also remember that Hahn can perform "deban" with his Mahlay shield and he can't with shadowblade.

Has shadowblade the "deban" power? or when "shadowsabers" rose the sword were simply doing a movement to cast that tech in the same way they would cast it without any weapon? If it has not the power how about the tech witches? Were they using their canes do amplify their own power (gifoi, giwat, gizan, gisar, gires)? or in this case the canes were the only source of their power?
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 18, '08, 12:25 am

I remember that at one point in the game, one NPC says Hahn was sending information or research about making weapons to his father, the blacksmith in Krup. He must have, as you said, learned some things from Rune about how to imbue items with techs that advanced his own research further. I wonder if it could lead to the beginnings of an Esper colony on Motavia?

As for Hahn and Baya Malay... it's possible, but there's no way to say for sure. I took Termi's "Bayamare" to be an alternate translation of Baya Malay as one of the town's many homages to Palma and PSI.

I think the enemies that are using techs are casting them and just moving their weapons to show that they've done something. The techs don't seem to come from the weapons to me. The enemies are just keeping their weapons out and ready to fight when casting.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Fogeltje » Wed Mar 19, '08, 10:46 pm

The Shield has Deban? :o

Never knew that and I thought I knew them all. Well that gives us: Woodcane, Guard Rod, Thunder Claw, Tornado Dagger, Flamesword, Mahlay Dagger, Mahlay Shield, Dream Rod, Laco Rod, Psycho Wand which can cast techniques/skills when used. Are you sure the Dream Rod can cast Bindwa and doesn't give a chance for a Bindwa effect on striking like the Stun Shot or a Holyword on the Elsydeon?
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby newsblade » Thu Mar 20, '08, 12:38 am

Let's add the "Force shield" too. I don't remember where I got it but it casts a green "shift" (it says "attack power is up" and, like every tech, do not work with androids). Shortcake and Perolymate also give us some "res".
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Celeith » Thu Mar 20, '08, 1:27 am

I just used the Dream-Rod, in the description it says A rod that has the power of BINDWA magic, and in battle when used as a item it casts Bindwa, unless you guys have messed up versions of the game then I dunno cause it used it as a item for me just 10 seconds ago. Oh and Moonslasher casts Moonshad on the enemy when used as a item.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby newsblade » Thu Mar 20, '08, 1:23 pm

It's interesting that Dream Rod seems to be the only weapon of the game that can be used in two different ways: as a strike it give us a green "bindwa" that affects only one enemy (the one which was stroked). As an item it gives us a blue "bindwa" that affects all enemies. The green seems to be more effective since the blue power is distributed by all enemies.

The green "bindwa" may also be a tech called "rimit" (which was also based on bindwa skill). If so, we finally have a weapon that possess two powers. Of course this is arguable since we also have an item (power shield) that casts a green "shift" (which, by nature, is red… unless that “green shift” is in fact the skill version of that red tech).
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Fogeltje » Sat Mar 22, '08, 12:09 pm

newsblade wrote:Let's add the "Force shield" too. I don't remember where I got it but it casts a green "shift" (it says "attack power is up" and, like every tech, do not work with androids). Shortcake and Perolymate also give us some "res".

Oh yes, the Pow Shield, how did I forget that? I use that one for Chaz in boss battles, since all Chaz does for me is Crosscuts (more damage than Rayblade at a certain level, especially when using Pow Shield/Shift).
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby newsblade » Mon Mar 24, '08, 6:27 pm

Eclipse Torch casts Saint Fire (the opposite of Seth's corrosion). This is the last one, I think.
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Celeith » Tue Mar 25, '08, 6:21 am

i often wonder how this went from Rune's travels to PS item usages 101
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 25, '08, 11:33 pm

That's what I love about talking about a game with people that are passionate about it. You can never tell what direction the discussion is going to take next! :D
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star IV