Rune and Alys

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Rune and Alys

Postby Srijita » Sat Aug 16, '08, 12:01 am

Rune_Walsh wrote:Well, here is the drawing... it's nothing fancy, mind you. I probably should have highlighted Alys's hair, but I didn't think of that at the time. I wonder if Thoul would want me to upload it in the fan art section? Anyway, the link:

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee27 ... _rune2.jpg

[face=Times New Roman]Nothing fancy? It's fabulous! :clap: The expression on Alys's face... it's just how one might imagine it. Oh, I do feel for her!

Please do upload it in the fan art section if you have a chance...

Re: fan fiction, many thanks for your interest. I'll post/ send you an excerpt over the weekend... I'm quite nervous about it, actually, since the only writing I've ever published is scientific and work-related! I've no idea how people might respond to my fiction writing, but I guess there's only one way to find out :wink:[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Aug 16, '08, 10:34 am

Thank you very much, Srijita, for the kind compliment... I can be a bit uneasy about sharing my drawings, as I usually am unsatisfied with them. I did submit one pen/pencil drawing of Rune and Rika in the fan art section, I'm not sure if you saw it. I think I'll submit this one, too. Thank you again for your kind words. :)

I would be more than honored to read a sneak-peak of your Rune and Alys fan fiction. It truly sounds exciting, and I must admit that I am really, really intrigued!

(To be fair, I'm still writing a Rune/Rika romance -- yes, you heard right -- that I would share with you in turn, but be forewarned that I am not much of a writer. Let me know if you're interested. ^^)
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Rune and Alys

Postby Srijita » Sat Aug 16, '08, 11:54 pm

[face=Times New Roman]Ah, I've just had a look at your sketch of Rune and Rika. I found myself admiring it for quite a while. :clap: To me, it's remarkable, particularly your use of shading. I get the impression that you’re something of a perfectionist, your own harshest critic, and therefore generally dissatisfied with your work? (Much like me with writing?!) :wink: I assure you other people see it with different, more appreciative eyes. It amazes me that you can just sketch from your imagination.

A Rune/ Rika romance? I’m fascinated with the pairing. Do you see this happening some time after PS4? Please fill in the background before my mind goes into overdrive! What’s happened to Shorty? Do tell! Please share :)

As promised, I’m sending you an excerpt from the PS4 story. It’s rather lengthy, I’m afraid. Because it’s just an excerpt, and not a full story, I’ve chosen a scene that is recognisable from the game, rather than the prologue. Just to set the scene: Alys has been hit by Zio’s Black Energy Wave, and is being tended by Hahn and Saya in Krup. In the meantime, Chaz, Rika, Demi, and Gryz have gone to the Ladea Tower where they catch up with Rune and retrieve the Psycho-wand. Celebrations are cut short, however, as Rika and Rune sense that Alys has deteriorated, and the group promptly teleport back to Krup.

In the game, Hahn declares that Alys has taken a turn for the worse, but she actually seems more awake than previously! So I’ve inserted a cut-scene. Alys isn’t awake; she’s slipped into a coma. Chaz implores Rune to help her, but he explains that he can’t cure the Black Energy Wave. He can, however, transfer life energy to Alys to relieve her pain, and possibly pull her out of the coma. (Later in the game, we see the Espers donating life energy to the patients at Meese. I’ve no doubt Rune would do the same thing for Alys). It works, and Alys awakens transiently, allowing her to say the final goodbyes as portrayed in the game.

All constructive criticism would be very much appreciated!
[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sun Aug 17, '08, 1:50 am

Srijita, as soon as I read the first sentence, I knew I had to make myself some tea. I really, really enjoyed it. I'll write you a reply message and let you know exactly how much I truly loved it... in all honesty, it is the best PS fan fiction I've read so far.

Thank you again, very much, for your kind and encouraging words on my drawings. Your comments make me want to draw even more PS stuff... now I think I'll draw some happy Rune and Alys art - a vision of their time together, while madly in love. This thead, as well as your brilliant story, has inspired me!

About my take on the Rune and Rika romance; it is a continuation taking place a decade down the road from the end of the game. Based off the thoughts in the Phantasy Star Compendium, Rika is a widow, left alone to care for her child, Rui. After learning of Chaz's death and waiting some time, Rune decides to visit Motavia again, and see his old friends. The reunion between Rune and Rika in Aideo is an emotional one, and through their mutual loneliness - Rune and Rika find themselves falling in love. (Rune even makes a confession to Rika about his relationship with Alys.) I plan to upload it on here as soon as it is finished, but I will send you an excerpt as promised. Admittedly, I am not even a fraction of a writer as you are - so please pardon my inexperience. ;)
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 17, '08, 2:37 am

Rune_Walsh wrote:Well, here is the drawing... it's nothing fancy, mind you. I probably should have highlighted Alys's hair, but I didn't think of that at the time. I wonder if Thoul would want me to upload it in the fan art section? Anyway, the link:

I didn't get a chance to see it (link says the image doesn't exist now), but sure. I'm always happy to see new additions in the fan art section. :D
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sun Aug 17, '08, 12:37 pm

Thoul, I sent you a PM with a link to the Alys/Rune drawing. I'm going to do a happier one of them that I will start this week, as well. ^^
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Rune and Alys

Postby Srijita » Sun Aug 17, '08, 3:30 pm

Rune_Walsh wrote:... now I think I'll draw some happy Rune and Alys art - a vision of their time together, while madly in love. This thead, as well as your brilliant story, has inspired me!

[face=Times New Roman]Some happier pictures? Can’t wait![/face]

Rune_Walsh wrote:About my take on the Rune and Rika romance; it is a continuation taking place a decade down the road from the end of the game. Based off the thoughts in the Phantasy Star Compendium, Rika is a widow, left alone to care for her child, Rui. After learning of Chaz's death and waiting some time, Rune decides to visit Motavia again, and see his old friends. The reunion between Rune and Rika in Aideo is an emotional one, and through their mutual loneliness - Rune and Rika find themselves falling in love. (Rune even makes a confession to Rika about his relationship with Alys.) I plan to upload it on here as soon as it is finished, but I will send you an excerpt as promised.

[face=Times New Roman]I recall reading that now in the translation of the PS Compendium. The character developer thought Chaz wouldn’t even see thirty. After the happy pictures of him and Rika together in the closing sequences, the notion that he would die so young is a real downer.

Rune’s final conversation with Chaz, in which he suggests that they are unlikely to meet again, probably stems from his perception that Chaz and Rika no longer need a mentor/ guardian figure. But if tragedy did strike, it would be very much in character for Rune to enter their lives again.

The excerpt you sent me was fresh, smooth flowing, and simultaneously powerful and subtle. I had the impression that there was quite a bit of backstory beforehand, which I'm longing to see. I'm really looking forward to your posting the full story here. [/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 17, '08, 5:32 pm

That picture was great. :) I look forward to seeing what you do next.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Rune and Alys

Postby Rune_Walsh » Mon Aug 18, '08, 3:16 am

Srijita wrote:
Rune’s final conversation with Chaz, in which he suggests that they are unlikely to meet again, probably stems from his perception that Chaz and Rika no longer need a mentor/ guardian figure. But if tragedy did strike, it would be very much in character for Rune to enter their lives again.

The excerpt you sent me was fresh, smooth flowing, and simultaneously powerful and subtle. I had the impression that there was quite a bit of backstory beforehand, which I'm longing to see. I'm really looking forward to your posting the full story here.

That is an interesting point, Srijita! I have to say that I agree completely... I can see Rune returning to Motavia if tragedy hit. But now my imagination is flying, wondering if, perhaps, Rune knew Chaz would meet an early passing? It threw me off that Wren told Chaz he believed they would meet again, yet Rune -- who obviously had the secret ability to travel from Motavia to Dezoris -- told Chaz they'd probably wouldn't. Hmmm! I know the info about Chaz dying young isn't canon, but still, I think it was drawn by the character developer (correct me if I am wrong here, by all means), so if it was at least in his mind, then that is canon enough for me.

Thank you for your kind compliments on my story! :heart: I shall send you another excerpt! I am excited to share this with you! I didn't anticipate that it would be so long, though... so far it is nine chapters. How about yours? I think you mentioned it is long, as well. I can't wait to read more of your brilliant and compelling story!

Thoul - thank you for the compliment. ^^ I will definitely create more PS drawings to upload on your site - including the happy Rune/Alys drawing I'm going to start.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Re: Rune and Alys

Postby Srijita » Mon Aug 18, '08, 8:33 pm

Rune_Walsh wrote:It threw me off that Wren told Chaz he believed they would meet again, yet Rune -- who obviously had the secret ability to travel from Motavia to Dezoris -- told Chaz they'd probably wouldn't.

[face=Times New Roman]The final parting of Chaz and Rune got to me, too, which is a testament to the realism and depth with which their relationship was developed in the game. I must confess, however, that I thought Rune was merely being realistic in suggesting that their paths were unlikely to cross again. During stressful periods, people bond quickly, and it’s human nature to develop intense friendships. Once the need for propinquity is over, people go their separate ways, fully intending to keep in touch. But life takes its toll, and it frequently doesn’t happen.

I know this from personal experience in my own line of work. During exam time, difficult placements, and periods of intense work pressure, I’ve struck up half a dozen close friendships. In each case, we relied on each other and needed emotional support from each other to survive an abnormally stressful period. When it was over, we often exchanged remarks to the effect of: “I couldn’t have done it without you!” Contact details were shared, but then we moved on to different placements and lost touch. Having compared notes with my colleagues, I know I’m not alone in this; it is a common experience. Sure, I think of my old friends from time to time, and I’d be delighted to see them again, but… life takes its toll. [/face]

But now my imagination is flying, wondering if, perhaps, Rune knew Chaz would meet an early passing? Hmmm!

[face=Times New Roman]That’s a very interesting idea. Maybe Rune sensed something, but kept it to himself so that the Chaz and Rika could enjoy whatever time they had together without a dark cloud hanging over them. It would have to be either a vague premonition, or an inevitable occurrence, because otherwise Rune would presumably have warned them, or attempted to intervene.[/face]

I know the info about Chaz dying young isn't canon, but still, I think it was drawn by the character developer (correct me if I am wrong here, by all means), so if it was at least in his mind, then that is canon enough for me.

[face=Times New Roman]I’ve just had another glance at Rebecca Capowski’s translation of the Compendium. The sketch and notes showing Rika as a widow, caring for her son Rui, were by Tohoru Yoshida, who was responsible for character design and story development. At least, that’s what I gather from Rebecca's webpage. It raises the question, however, of why the creator might envision such an end for the protagonist.

At the outset, Chaz is Everyman: brave, impetuous, loyal, but lacking in insight and purpose. He grows during the story into the archetypal young hero. But – to a greater extent than the other characters – it is difficult to imagine him down the line. With everyone else, their paths are clear: Kyra will return to her training at the Esper mansion; Raja to his old life; Wren and Demi to their designated maintenance roles on Zelan; Rune to his mission as Lutz; Gryz to look after his sister; and Hahn to academia (and, presumably, his relationship with Saya).

In contrast, the only purpose Chaz has so far found is his mission as a Protector, to fight Darkness. Take that away, and what happens to him? The closest analogy is that of the returning war veteran, seeking a new role. Try to picture Chaz as a civilian, in a mundane 9-to-5 job, eventually retiring and growing old... it’s not easy. It’s possible to write him that way – and I believe some people have done it – but it requires one to extrapolate beyond the character portrayed in the game and draw inferences about how he might develop under novel circumstances.

Far simpler to adhere to the old adage: “he will never age for me”, and imagine him dying young.[/face]

Thank you for your kind compliments on my story! :heart: I shall send you another excerpt!

[face=Times New Roman]Enjoyed it immensely :clap: It really captures the essence of that first hormonal rush, the awkwardness, the exhilaration… I’ll reply in more detail to you directly. But please keep writing![/face]

I am excited to share this with you! I didn't anticipate that it would be so long, though... so far it is nine chapters. How about yours? I think you mentioned it is long, as well.

[face=Times New Roman]Unfortunately it’s reaching epic proportions although, unlike you, I lack the courage and imagination to speculate about what happens in the distant future after the game. My problem is a constant desire to rewrite it. I look forward to sharing it with you as I go along :wink: [/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star IV