Rune and Alys

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Rune and Alys

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Aug 13, '08, 11:05 am

What do you think the nature of their past relationship was, exactly? Apparently they lived together for four years, and when Alys encounters Rune in the game, she tells Chaz she knew Rune "from a long time ago". Then, before Chaz and company go to the Ladea Tower to find Rune, Alyz asks for Rune while on her deathbed, and later calls out to him when he is present.

I can't help but wonder if their relationship was, at one time, romantic... and possibly ended because Rune was chosen to inherit Lutz's memories?

Thoughts? Observations? :mrgreen:
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Rune and Alys

Postby Srijita » Wed Aug 13, '08, 2:30 pm

[face=Times New Roman]IMHO there are several lines of evidence supporting a romantic relationship between the two of them.

(1) Notice Alys’s range of facial expressions when Rune invites himself to join the group! At first she appears rather taken aback; then she glances at the protesting Chaz, before finally conceding that they will enjoy his company. Had their relationship been platonic, even a very close friendship, the decision would have been much simpler: “Sure, join us, do!”

After a minor squabble with Chaz, Rune reassures them that he won’t “get in the way”. Alys responds that he has already done so. Reading between the lines, I’d say that his sudden reappearance after a lengthy time apart has left her somewhat perturbed. Again, it would be unlikely to have this impact on her if they had merely been friends.

(2) Alys appears mildly exasperated, perhaps even embarrassed, by Hahn and Saya’s public display of affection in Krup. Her reaction may be influenced, at least in part, by Rune’s presence at the scene. Perhaps it brings back memories that she has tried to push to the back of her mind?

(3) Rune treats Chaz like a child and, on at least one occasion, is also quite offhand with Gryz (“What a braindead kid you are!”). However, he always acts the gentleman in his dealings with Alys. In Tonoe, Rune intercedes after Alys socks Grandfather Dorin for reciting her measurements. “Please excuse him, Alys, the old man didn’t intend any harm…”
Perhaps any good friend (or any gentleman!) would have done the same, but the shot of the two of them in that scene suggests a certain intimacy from days gone by.

(4) Aiedo appears to be full of young men who would like to get to know Alys, but she doesn’t give them a second glance. One of her neighbours even declares her intention of finding Alys a good husband. These snippets of conversation create an impression of Alys as a strong, independent career woman who attracts men, but may be unwilling to settle. Perhaps she has been in love with someone in the past, someone with more depth and intelligence than the young hunters at the bar?

The scene at her bedside in Krup is also suggestive, but the emotions displayed therein could equally derive from a very close friendship. Assuming that the two were romantically involved, the next question is: what was the extent of their relationship? Again, I’d argue that it was long-term, quite intense and, moreover, that they were probably quite a bit older than is usually suggested. Could puppy love in adolescence create a lasting bond that survives several years’ absence? Not in my experience.

According to the PS Compendium, Rune inherited Lutz’s memories at the age of 15, then underwent strict ascetic training before travelling to Motavia, where he met Alys and the hunter Galf. Galf rescued Alys from highwaymen at the age of 14, and then trained her to become a hunter. I’d guess that both Rune and Alys were training for some time in their respective disciplines before they met – possibly even 5-6 years. So they meet in their late teens /early twenties, spend four years together, and become romantically involved.

Final question: why do they break up? Since Rune appears to be a gentleman, his mission as the “reverent fifth one” is the most plausible reason he might have to leave Alys and return to Dezolis. The Compendium talks about his leaving her to “hasten her independence”, but that sounds to me like a much flimsier excuse! Love happens between individuals who are independent, and I somehow doubt that Alys was ever clingy or needy.

She accepts Rune’s decision to return to Dezolis, picks herself up, focuses on her career and becomes a renowned Hunter. A couple of years later she takes 13-year-old Chaz off the streets and gives him a home, trains him for three years… and then, out of the blue, they encounter Rune Walsh on their travels, a decade after Alys first met him.

Anyhow, that’s how I’ve developed the theme in my fanfiction, so take it all with a pinch of salt… :wink:[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Aug 13, '08, 9:42 pm

I loved reading your insightful post, Srijita! Now I am even more convinced that the two were romantically involved.

You mention the scene where Alys socked Grandfather Dorin, who announced her measurements, but I can't help but wonder how he knew her measurements to begin with? :D He and Rune appear to be acquainted, so I really think that it was Rune who let it slip out while talking with Grandfather Dorin at some time. :yaknow:

I agree that their relationship on Motavia -- whatever the nature -- probably ended because of Rune's duty as Lutz. But, as hurt as I can imagine Alys being, she strikes me as the type to pick up and move on. Oh, and yes - in that one scene where she tells Rune that he has already gotten in the way - I also think that is her being a bit perturbed, and maybe a little bit bitter.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Rune and Alys

Postby Srijita » Thu Aug 14, '08, 2:58 pm

[face=Times New Roman]Yes, I also wondered how Grandpa Dorin got ahold of Alys Brangwin’s measurements.

Either he paid close attention to her clothing purchases over a period of time, with particular focus on the sizes, or (as you suggest) Rune Walsh told him from first-hand experience...

With the latter being the case, I might have to reconsider my view of Rune as a gentleman :wink:[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Celeith » Thu Aug 14, '08, 3:56 pm

I never really thought on why Dorin knew Alys' measurements. I just figured when he saw Alys for the first time he just checked her out and then from that just memorized what her measurements were by the way her body was shaped. Alot of people that I know can do that just by looking at women and actually get it correct so maybe Dorin was some kinda great tailor in his youth.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Rune_Walsh » Thu Aug 14, '08, 9:07 pm

Srijita, our conversation has prompted me to do some fan art of when Rune and Alys break up. It's almost finished, and I'll be sure to share it. :)

By the way, you mention something about fan fiction. Have you written any fan fiction about Rune and Alys at all?

In regards to Rune being a gentleman, I think he is. Although, he has shown a rather mischievous side, so I think it's possible he let some remarks about Alys slip...

Rune: "Grandfather Dorin, she is an amazing woman. And she has this body that... oh, um... whoops, nevermind."

:lol:
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Celeith » Thu Aug 14, '08, 10:01 pm

I know this isn't pointed towards me but I have a Alys and Rune fanfiction here but its way out there and is just my ramblings. Alot of the old members seemed to have liked it but it all depends on personal taste actually.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Rune and Alys

Postby Srijita » Thu Aug 14, '08, 11:56 pm

Rune_Walsh wrote:Srijita, our conversation has prompted me to do some fan art of when Rune and Alys break up. It's almost finished, and I'll be sure to share it. :)

By the way, you mention something about fan fiction. Have you written any fan fiction about Rune and Alys at all?

In regards to Rune being a gentleman, I think he is. Although, he has shown a rather mischievous side, so I think it's possible he let some remarks about Alys slip...

Rune: "Grandfather Dorin, she is an amazing woman. And she has this body that... oh, um... whoops, nevermind."

:lol:

[face=Times New Roman]Wow, I’m looking forward to seeing the fan art. I couldn’t draw to save my life, so I’m always fascinated that other people can just create beautiful images. :clap:

Regarding the fan fiction, it’s a detailed account of the events leading up to and including PS4. I’m afraid it’s long enough to be a small novel, but still very much in the “fourth day of creation” stage. It begins with Rune Walsh acquiring Lutz’s memories from the telepathy ball, and finishes with the team going their separate ways after the defeat of the Profound Darkness. My interest was in portraying the back-story to PS4: the characters’ feelings, motivations, and growth.

Much of the first half deals with Rune’s relationship with Alys and the consequences for both of them. It was one of the aspects of PS4 that most tantalised me, and I was struck that you came to so many of the same conclusions that I did regarding the nature of their relationship!

But I must confess that I envisioned them meeting in their early twenties, somewhat later than prevailing perceptions. After some initial fireworks, they develop a deep passion for each other. For both of them, it is the first and only time they will experience romantic love. They spend four years together. On occasion, Rune wonders whether Alys will be the one who ultimately fights Dark Force, and that justifies their relationship in his own mind. At other times, he’s on the verge of wanting to throw in the towel, forget all about his mission as Lutz, and just lead a normal life: marry Alys and raise a family.

Then Alys’s mentor, the Hunter Galf, dies – and Rune is called back to the Esper mansion. He doesn’t want to leave Alys, particularly during her bereavement, but he does so under duress from the Inner Circle of Espers. He tells her it’s only for a short while and departs for Dezolis, fully intending to return. Once there, however, his mentor reminds him that the end of the millennium is approaching, and that Algo needs him. After much inner turmoil, he accepts his path in life, and returns to his training as the Fifth Generation Lutz.

Alys is heartbroken. She recovers and focuses on her career, but becomes more cynical about relationships and never opens herself up to that degree of vulnerability again. Ten years later, they meet again, both now in their early thirties. Alys discovers that she still has feelings for Rune, but also harbours a certain resentment towards him. As before, he just walks into her life, then proceeds to walk out again, when he disappears off with Grandfather Dorin. Again, Rune intends to return, but Alys is not about to sit around waiting for him. So she embarks on her fateful mission to tackle Zio, against his advice. Rune blames himself for her death but struggles with his guilt alone. He knew Alys’s investigations would ultimately lead to Zio. He could have told her about Zio’s magic barrier, and joined forces with her to locate the Psycho wand, but chose instead to go it alone.

I was fascinated to read your interpretation, Kaloes, because it is so different from mine. In “Alone in the World”, which makes great reading, Alys and Rune are both still youngsters. I pictured an adult relationship between them.

I look forward to sharing it as soon as it’s complete. I daresay I may have to ask one of the administrators to eyeball it first, since there is some mild sexual content (although no more explicit than say, “Atlas Shrugged”) :wink:
[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Rune_Walsh » Fri Aug 15, '08, 11:22 am

Well, here is the drawing... it's nothing fancy, mind you. I probably should have highlighted Alys's hair, but I didn't think of that at the time. I wonder if Thoul would want me to upload it in the fan art section? Anyway, the link:

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee27 ... _rune2.jpg

I was listening to No Doubt's "Don't Speak" song as I drew this, and I imagined that is probably how Alys felt when Rune told her (if he did, that is) that he was returning to Dezolis.

Srijita, I also imagine Rune and Alys's relationship as a hot and heavy one, one that was shared in their adult years. I am really, really looking forward to reading your fan fictional piece. It sounds truly exciting! I would love to read some of it now - despite being unfinished... but of course that is all up to you! :hyper:

Kaloes - I just read your fan fiction on Rune and Alys, and I really enjoyed it. I definitely swooned when Rune rescued Alys. Great stuff. :clap:
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Re: Rune and Alys

Postby Celeith » Fri Aug 15, '08, 3:58 pm

Srijita wrote:I was fascinated to read your interpretation, Kaloes, because it is so different from mine. In “Alone in the World”, which makes great reading, Alys and Rune are both still youngsters. I pictured an adult relationship between them.

Rune_Walsh wrote:Kaloes - I just read your fan fiction on Rune and Alys, and I really enjoyed it. I definitely swooned when Rune rescued Alys. Great stuff.

I thank both of you for your kind words. Its been awhile since anyone has said anything about my fanfics. I went and deleted chapter 10 and put a reconstruction sign up on it because I had pictured the fanfic to expand longer then what I wanted it to. So for everyone who enjoyed it I will be beginning on the reconstruction of chapter 10 and the final chapters will follow after. I've let it sit unfinished long enough and I've been letting people down who have been emailing me about finishing it. Its not my best work but it is my longest so I have a duty to my readers to finish what I started.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV