RPGs with Job Systems, your thoughts on them

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Postby Schala Zeal » Wed Mar 25, '09, 2:04 pm

LordShibas wrote:I never played Dragon Quest III. How does the Job System in Dragon Quest III compare with the job system in Dragon Quest VII?

I've actually never played DQ VII, so I couldn't tell you how it compares. I would imagine that VII would be better, but I can't say for sure. I can tell you how III's system works though:

You are given one 'hero' -- this character is the character you control and has very rounded stats and spells. The hero may not change his class. For the rest of the characters, there are several classes to choose from: the warrior, the fighter, the mage, the cleric, the dealer (rounded member; also can appraise items and has some other money-based moves), the jester (clown), the thief, and the sage (special class; must acquire a certain item or have a level 20 Jester). As you can guess, all these classes acquire different skills and have different growth rates, but once they reach level 20, you can go to a certain temple and have them change their classes. Once they change their class, their level drops down to level one-- but rather than having the super low stats that level one characters tend to have, their current stats are cut in half (HP, MP, attack, etc). So that's a little better than making your character start from complete scratch. To make things even better, they keep the spells that they have learned in their previous classes. It is a time consuming process, but I find this job system fun.

You guys are probably like :bored:
XD
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Celeith » Wed Mar 25, '09, 10:25 pm

Did ya know in FFIII its kinda easy to level the jobs up? Yea just go to the beginning area, defend for 5 rounds, then unload on them. Yea its a bit tedious but when your at the beginning and your characters are throwing out +20 hits its very nice.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby LordShibas » Thu Mar 26, '09, 12:01 pm

Thanks for the advice Kaloes, but I've already given up on FF 3. It's just not my thing. I will be giving FF IV for DS a try in the near future though.

BTW, is your avatar from Atelier Iris 2? Never played any of the Atelier Iris games, but for some reason I know that.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Celeith » Wed Apr 1, '09, 1:16 am

FFIV for the DS is awsome, just beat my first playthrough about 2 weeks ago, getting adamant armor for all characters was a pain... weeks of grinding for the items i needed. anyways you'll love it, and yes, my avatar is Felt from Altelier Iris 2.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Previous

Return to Tech and Design