Roseanne

There's lots to talk about on the smaller screen.

Roseanne

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Mar 29, '18, 7:40 pm

Did anyone here watch the first episodes of the new "Roseanne" tv show on abc starring Roseanne Barr, John Goodman, etc. ?

The show was a hit show several years ago and now they are reviving it. It seemed to do very well in the ratings this week.

I thought it was funny and dealt with a lot of issues facing the world today. Can hardly wait to see what they do next week, lol.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Roseanne

Postby myau56 » Fri Mar 30, '18, 11:40 am

I haven't seen it as it was not broadcasted in France yet but the first serie was ! I think it's gonna be the same sooner or later ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Mar 30, '18, 8:30 pm

I read the show has already been renewed for a second season, and perhaps more later on. It did very, very well in the ratings and good ratings means renewals! It will probably be available online to see at some point.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby myau56 » Fri Apr 6, '18, 12:55 pm

Hope it's gonna be good ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed May 30, '18, 11:02 pm

Well, the "Roseanne" tv show has been canceled by the ABC network after just recently being renewed for a second season.

It seems the star of "Roseanne" ,who is comedian Roseanne Barr, said some things on twitter that a lot of people did not like and are calling racist remarks, etc. So ABC canceled her show. I am hearing in the news that old reruns of her shows may be canceled on other networks as well. Roseanne has apologized but the damage seems to have already been done.

Is that right to cancel her tv show because of remarks she made on a twitter account?

Also is it right to cancel her tv show because of remarks she made on a twitter account when there are other celebrities that are saying hateful or rude remarks about other people, such as President Trump and other people, on their tv talk shows and tv late night shows and getting by with it?

Silver_Surfer1

Postby myau56 » Thu May 31, '18, 1:32 pm

I've heard about this and this is so sad... :( Sure the tweet was a very nasty one but...it's like that now :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu May 31, '18, 8:39 pm

ABC is perfectly within their rights to cancel the show over racist remarks online. Freedom of speech doesn't stop private entities from taking action...it only means the government can't. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences from other entities for what you say.

I find it hypocritical at best that people are defending Roseanne's "right to free speech" but condemning the football players who protest during the national anthem and not recognizing that as equal exercise of free speech. Sorry, but both are exercising their right to free speech and you can of course disagree with one or both. You can also condemn the speech of either in question. But it's up to their organizations to decide if their actions are punishable or not, and if organizations do act, it's still not a violation of free speech.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu May 31, '18, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Fri Jun 1, '18, 12:16 pm

But I totally agree with you : free speech have its limits ansd the show canceled is not a so bad decision after all : you have to know where are the limits ! :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby MrKite » Fri Jun 1, '18, 11:55 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:ABC is perfectly within their rights to cancel the show over racist remarks online. Freedom of speech doesn't stop private entities from taking action...it only means the government can't. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences from other entities for what you say.

I find it hypocritical at best that people are defending Roseanne's "right to free speech" but condemning the football players who protest during the national anthem and not recognizing that as equal exercise of free speech. Sorry, but both are exercising their right to free speech and you can of course disagree with one or both. You can also condemn the speech of either in question. But it's up to their organizations to decide if their actions are punishable or not, and if organizations do act, it's still not a violation of free speech.

Well said
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby augmentedfourth » Sat Jun 2, '18, 1:16 am

MrKite wrote:
Wolf Bird wrote:ABC is perfectly within their rights to cancel the show over racist remarks online. Freedom of speech doesn't stop private entities from taking action...it only means the government can't. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences from other entities for what you say.

Well said

Thirding!
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Next

Return to Tubular Television