Rod Stewart (because he's so awesome)

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Rod Stewart (because he's so awesome)

Postby MrKite » Sat Sep 4, '10, 6:44 am

He had a good amount of hit singles in the late 60s, the 70s, the 80s and the early 90s. I can't think of many artists who have had hits for 3 non-consecutive decades in a row. Whether it's his early work with The Steampacket, The Jeff Beck Group, or his solo material, he deserves his place in history, but I will admit there are songs of his that I don't like and really make me mad, such as "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?". I can't believe that went to #1 back when it came out. I don't blame all the people who got on his case for making a disco song. But here's songs of his I do like:

Stay With Me (which he did with The Faces)
Reason To Believe
You Wear It Well
Sailing
You're In My Heart (The Final Acclaim)
Hot Legs
Passion
Young Turks (Let me tell you, this is one of his best and biggest hits)
Some Guys Have All The Luck
People Get Ready (this is actually from a Jeff Beck album, but he was the guest lead vocalist on the song, so it still counts :) )
Every Beat Of My Heart
Lost In You (I'm lost in Alys! XD Sorry, couldn't help myself and I just felt like saying that. I'm not THAT obsessed with Alys. Except for when I'm at places like this. :D )
Forever Young
My Heart Can't Tell You No
This Old Heart Of Mine (featuring Roland Isley)
Downtown Train
Have I Told You Lately (Didn't Ringo Starr record a version of this before he did?)
Leave Virginia Alone
So Far Away (Carole King cover)
When We Were The New Boys

I haven't really cared for the stuff he's put out in the last couple of years though. He hasn't even made an album of original material (that I know of at least) since 2001's Human. He put out an album of Soul covers recently. I wonder if he's planning to make an album with covers of heavy metal songs. *. *laughs at the thought of Rod doing a cover of Enter Sandman, or some other metal song* Have to say I never heard his duet with Tina Turner called It Takes Two.
Last edited by MrKite on Sat Sep 4, '10, 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: Rod Stewart (because he's so awesome)

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Sep 4, '10, 9:47 am

I enjoy most of Rod Stewart's music. Not all, but a great deal. Those are some good songs you've listed. I don't know what he's up to these days musically though.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Sep 9, '10, 2:45 pm

I think Rod is a great singer/songwriter, or at least was, because nowadays he is more into the cover thing.
I consider his work with Jeff Beck Group, Faces and early solo career superb. I'd rate Every Picture Tells a Story with the maximum rating (Every Picture Tells a Story, Mandolin Wind, Maggie May, Reason to Believe... so many classics).
By the way, his version of Reason to Believe made me look for Tim Hardin (the composer of the song) who is really good :)
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby MrKite » Sat Sep 11, '10, 5:54 am

Yes, Reason To Believe is one of his best songs.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Return to Tootin' Tunes