Page 1 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Rise of the Video Game
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, '07, 1:35 am 
Discovery Channel is running a new documentary series exploring the history of video games. It's not just about the industry or technology though, it also looks at the cultural influences and impact of the games. Has anyone been watching it? I missed the first episode, but I'm watching a new one right now. I think it airs each Wednesday night.

This episode has been really interesting. It's examined the launching of Nintendo, Sega, and personal computers. They've talked about the creation of Mario and how Nintendo revived the game market. Now they're moving into Sega and the Genesis; they even just showed a couple of clips of Phantasy Star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, '07, 2:24 am 
Sounds like a cool program. I love the Discovery Channel but have not been watching it as of late. I will certainly try to catch this program about the video games, though, and especially the part about Phantasy Star. Cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, '07, 9:32 pm 
Oh yes! I have watched some of that show! Good information!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, '07, 11:18 pm 
I saw a little bit of the episode last night. It was pretty good, but they mostly glossed over Sega. The Master System was barely mentioned at all and they mentioned Phantasy Star as a Genesis game instead of a SMS game.

The show seems pretty good, but it has a few bits of information I don't fully agree with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, '07, 3:11 am 
WHAT!!?? I want to know! Discovery channel on Wed. Night? What channel is that? I have a few. lol EXCITING!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, '07, 4:47 am 
It's a cable channel, so it varies from place to place. Check your local listings. It was on at 8pm Eastern Time, if I have the time right. Maybe 9 pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 5, '07, 7:04 pm 
Don't forget to watch tonight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 5, '07, 10:00 pm 
Thanks for the reminder Sparky! I had forgotten all about this. :dizzy: :duh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 6, '07, 10:40 pm 
So, what did you think of this weeks show?

I thought it was rather boring, compared to the previous week. It was nice to see Wolfenstien and Doom again for the first time in years, but the show focused way too much on the US military and shooters. It's almost like the producers don't think anything else happened in the game industry in the last ten years. :grumpy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 6, '07, 11:08 pm 
I'm glad it was boring this week, it seemed like one of those lame documentaries on video games. XD They showed scenes from Doom too often, and not other games so much, though I saw Halo, and Starwars Battelfront, the only two that I knew about. XD And yes, they did talk waaaaay to much about military and shooters, and not enough on the regular games.

Page 1 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next