Ripping Rom from HD Collection

Discover the secret of Mother Brain's technological advanced world.

Ripping Rom from HD Collection

Postby johndavis » Sun Feb 9, '14, 6:09 am

hello everyone!

i want to buy a copy of "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox360)"

it's on sale for 14 dollars.

but i don't own an xbox360

so if i buy the game anyway,

is it possible to rip out the High Definition Roms of Phantasy star from "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" and then play them with a legally licensed emulator on the pc?

again allow me to explain so people won't mistaken me for a pirate kiddie:

1: ME want to go to video game store
2: Me want to LEGALLY buy "Sonic Genesis collection"
3: ME want to LEGALLY rip out HD roms from "Sonic Genesis collection"
4: ME want to LEGALLY play HD roms on my own Pc LEGALLY
5: ME wants to know if this can be LEGALLY done

again let me make it very clear that i wish to buy "Sonic Genesis collection" for the sole purpose to extracting the HD contents of the disc.

so should i buy "Sonic Genesis collection" ?

thank you so much for your help! :happy_marle:
Last edited by johndavis on Sun Feb 9, '14, 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
johndavis
Newcomer
Newcomer

Achievements: 12

Re: Ripping Rom from HD Collection

Postby Hukos » Mon Feb 10, '14, 6:18 pm

From what I understand, ripping contents out of any medium (Such as a video game CD) is a very gray area legally. You'll get some people on one side saying it's perfectly legal and others saying it violates a lot of obtuse copyright laws.

I'm not even sure if there are Genesis emulators that are "legally licensed" (Which I assume to mean Sega officially endorses, which I've never heard of them doing such a thing). You're probably better off trying to buy the individual games from the HD collection on Steam. Most of them are on there (though not all of them).
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 10, '14, 9:05 pm

MMXPERT wrote:If you legally get the game, you get permission to just download the rom.

True ! I don't think that the other things you try to do are really legal but I hope you'll find something to do it :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby johndavis » Tue Feb 11, '14, 4:24 am

MMXPERT wrote:If you legally get the game, you get permission to just download the rom.

ah i see, this is new, thanks for the info! :mrgreen:

Hukos wrote: the HD collection on Steam.

unfortunately, the games there were ported by a UK development team so they are not in true High definition like the ones in "Sonic's Genesis Collection" which was done by Sega themselves. :wink:

a year ago i saw someone playing with the xbox demo machine and they had "Sonic's Genesis Collection" on and phantasy star/sonic definitely looks True HD, i've never seen the sprites look this large, detailed and clean before, it just completely blew my mind.

this is the reason why i wanted to buy "Sonic's Genesis Collection" so bad.

and i did, i just went and bought the 15 dollar "Sonic's Genesis Collection" for the xbox360 at bestbuy, there's only 2 copies left and i simply cannot wait any longer. :wink:

since i don't even own an xbox though, i can't really do anything with the disc :cry:
(hence why i want to rip it, so i can use it on my pc legally)

but i guess 15 dollars is still a good deal though, but i'd be lying if i say i don't want peek around the disc or try to rip something from it though. :knockout:
Last edited by johndavis on Tue Feb 11, '14, 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
johndavis
Newcomer
Newcomer

Achievements: 12

Postby Waterfaller » Sun Apr 20, '14, 11:03 pm

Isn't PS2 on Steam?
Waterfaller
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 27

Postby Thoul » Fri Jul 4, '14, 2:53 am

Legally speaking, that's not true for the most part. Some would argue that you do have the right to copy the rom from the game cart or disc yourself, like johndavis was asking about. But downloading the rom off the internet, on the other hand, is illegal regardless of whether or not you own the physical game unless you're buying the rom/game off a service like Steam.

Hukos' post above has it about right. As far as I know, the only authorized Sega emulator is the one in the Sega Smash Pack, but I doubt it even runs on modern computers. Buying the game off Steam would be easier and cheaper.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Phantasy Star II