Ridiculous Item Of The Day

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Ridiculous Item Of The Day

Postby Thoul » Wed Jul 28, '10, 8:51 pm

That comment is gold. :lol:

As for the story, that's more than a little strange. I think either there is some kind of natural phenomenon in space at work or it's a fraud. Perhaps there are some fragments of a small asteroid orbiting the planet just over his house and the weather is somehow bringing them down. It's very strange, that's for sure. I would probably consider moving.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tweeg » Thu Jul 29, '10, 4:07 am

That thing with the pennies was nuts. But We've had that happen one time to us here in S.C.. Trying to buy a desk chair at a thrift store that was priced something like thirty or fourty dollars. All my mother and I had on us was $13 in paper currency and a ton of rolled, rolled mind you, pennies. And this guy claiming to be the store manager says "either come back with real money or get out of my store". We never went back and he was reported to the BBB. It is illegal to refuse a cash payment being made in U.S. currency, regardless of the denomiations being used, anywhere in the U.S.A..

Most recently Apple got in trouble with the FTC (Federal Trade Commision) after one or more enraged Apple customers reported that they were denied the right to purchase goods from the Apple Stores using cash money. Apple was fined by the FTC over the incident and informed that it could not refuse cash payments from any customer who was buying from one of their physical store locations.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Aug 1, '10, 3:04 am

Tweeg wrote: It is illegal to refuse a cash payment being made in U.S. currency, regardless of the denomiations being used, anywhere in the U.S.A..

Tweeg, those were some interesting stories and facts to remember. Thanks for sharing them with us. I'm sure a lot of people don't know that refusing to accept cash payments like this is illegal. You would think that most stores would know though. I have used rolled change to pay for several items over the years and have never been refused as yet, although I have gotten some very unpleasant looks. :D
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Aug 1, '10, 3:23 am

Now, we have a detergent stalker:

http://adage.com/globalnews/article?article_id=145183

I don't know about this. It sounds creepy to me. I don't think I would use any of this stuff. I certainly hope other companies don't follow this pattern.

What do you think?

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Mon Aug 2, '10, 4:28 pm

Yeah, that's not the best marketing idea. It might be okay if the box has some clearly visible disclaimer like "there may be a GPS in this box." Otherwise, there are several potential privacy concerns that could upset a lot of people.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Aug 12, '10, 5:23 pm

Here's a new one. I considered putting this in the Delectable Delicacies (food) thread, but decided it was too ridiculous for that....not to mention a little disturbing.

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010 ... ?GT1=43001

I've probably eaten over a million peas in my lifetime, one of my favorite vegetables, and now after reading this, I'm a little afraid of 'em. :yikes:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Thu Aug 12, '10, 10:58 pm

I've heard of things like that before. It's pretty strange and rare, but it happens. The human body is very moist inside, so it provides a great place for plants to grow. Fortunately most people never have something to get lodged inside them like this.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Aug 13, '10, 12:08 am

Wow.. that is ridiculous. I never did hear that expression they mentioned though. I'll probably still eat peas like normal though. Thanks for the link. ^_^
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Sep 2, '10, 8:24 pm

Time for another ridiculous item of the day. :wink:

Head & Shoulders Shampoo has insured the hair of a Pittsburgh Steelers football player for $1 Million:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Sham ... ?gt1=39002

This shampoo brand is endorsed by the football player, I believe it says in the article.

For some reason this reminds me of years ago when Mary Hart of "Entertainment Tonight" fame had her legs insured for $1 Million.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 27, '10, 10:04 pm

Bumping this thread up. :silly:

Many people collect many different things. One guy in Australia has taken collecting to a new limit...he collects his own naval lint and has made it into the Guiness Book Of World Records:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2 ... rld_r.html

Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation