Reviews of The Lost Esper

Comment and review the writings of other members.

Postby Darkil » Thu Feb 12, '09, 11:11 pm

Eh, heheh no I didn't mean to post that here. I forgot to to hit reply since I never do in regular threads so it put it here . Sorry!
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 13, '09, 2:18 am

It's no problem. :) Good chapter, I really like the attention to detail in describing the surroundings.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Darkil » Fri Feb 13, '09, 6:10 pm

Thanks Thoul! To be honest I felt I did a pretty lousy job but if you enjoyed it, then I guess I did better than I though, lol!
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Postby Srijita » Sat Mar 7, '09, 10:20 pm

My goodness, you updated this back in February, but I've only just noticed it! Exciting instalment and vividly described. I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Ahhh, Rune...:heart:

Edit: Font size reduced following site upgrade :wink:
Last edited by Srijita on Mon Apr 13, '09, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Re: Reviews of The Lost Esper

Postby Thoul » Sun Apr 12, '09, 2:24 pm

Took me a while to get around to reading the latest chapter. Very nice work Darkil. I like your description of the battle, particularly the results of the various spells.

I was a bit surprised by the end of the chapter, though.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Chapter 5 details
I would have thought Rune would recognize Hahn. I guess it is understandable, since Rune may have only met him in passing. It just struck me as unusual.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Srijita » Mon Apr 13, '09, 4:55 pm

Yes, I must confess I had exactly the same reaction as Thoul. It was such an exciting chapter and the descriptions so vivid that I was completely absorbed... until the end. The final encounter struck me as decidedly odd. One would expect him to remember the name, even if changes in appearance precluded visual recognition.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Rune and Hahn travelled together as far as Tonoe; Hahn was present at Alys's deathbed and subsequent burial; and Rune would have seen him again just before the endgame, when Hahn offered to join the party in their battle against the Profound Darkness.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Thoul » Mon Apr 13, '09, 6:27 pm

Oh right, I forgot about the pre-Tonoe part for a minute. I guess...
[Reveal] Spoiler: More of the Chapter 5 stuff
Rune might have been too distracted by being around Alys again, especially in her death scene, to notice Hahn much. Or maybe Hahn just looks a lot different after all this time?
*shrug* I was just a bit surprised by it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Srijita » Mon Apr 13, '09, 9:06 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I’ll certainly buy that Rune was distracted by Alys during the journey to Tonoe, being firmly convinced that there was something between those two. :wink: However, there were only four in the party, so it would be odd if Rune failed to notice Hahn all together. Their next stop after the ruins of Molcum is Krup, Hahn’s hometown, where everyone speaks of him. They even meet his girlfriend Saya... If I recall correctly, Hahn questions Rune about his use of "Flaeli" to blast through the blocked cave entrance en route for Tonoe.

I suppose Hahn would make less of an impression if the party skipped Krup and headed directly for Tonoe, as some PSIV players prefer to do.

Having said all that, the encounter as portrayed might be a plot device of some sort. Maybe Darkil will reveal all in the chapters to come!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Darkil » Tue Apr 14, '09, 6:12 pm

These are some awesome insights and I'm glad to know that everyone is enjoying everything so far. My main goal to make someone think in regards to the whole picture, glad to see that is also shaping up thus far. I admit that it's been so long since I've played PSIV that I dont remember Hahn and Rune meeting one another, but after reading your comments [and reminding me they did meet], just reinforces what I have in store next :)
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Postby Rune_Walsh » Fri May 8, '09, 10:27 pm

I can't believe that I finally have just discovered this treat of a fanfiction! Darkil, I am enjoying your story immensely. You really have a talent with writing; I envy the way you describe the scenes (which is probably my weak spot when writing fanfiction myself). And oh, how I do love the way in which you have captured the personality of my favorite character, Rune Walsh!

"There are merits to being punctual, Alaires."

I laughed out loud at reading this quote, it is definitely something Rune would say. :lol:

I have to mention the bar room fight scenes, Rune pointing behind Lars -- who fell for it -- thereby receiving a blow across the face... just epic!

As Srijita mentions, I am also loving the Rune x Alys hints, with his thoughts of her you write on. :D

I am loving this story, Darkil, and I am looking forward to an update!
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews