So, did you ever reach the Level cap "normally"?

Discover the secret of Mother Brain's technological advanced world.

So, did you ever reach the Level cap "normally"?

Postby xellos667 » Sat Feb 19, '11, 2:13 pm

Yesterday I finally managed to do something I've never done before in all my PSII playthrough...reaching LV50 with all my 4 party members (Rolf, Rudo, Anna, Amy, last one being the longest to reach).

I mean I finished the game number of time in the past, on the Genesis, GBA, PS2, etc..., and I reached the level cap with all characters (Nei included before her death) by using the Complete Collecting on very easy mode which gave 4 times the XP, but it was kinda cheating. Yesterday, I finally managed to reach the level cap with my 4 party members like I said on the Wii VC (no way to cheat on this to my knowledge). It was totally pointless, but this is something I always wanted to do in the past, having done it in PSI, PSIII and PSIV, but never in PSII, which was the longest to grind.

So I was wondering, after all those years since PSII release on the Genesis, did you ever reached the level cap before without cheating? Just by grinding normally? Did you do it with Rolf solo? A standard party of 4? All 7 (8) characters? Pointless topic, but I'm curious...
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Re: So, did you ever reach the Level cap "normally"?

Postby augmentedfourth » Sat Feb 19, '11, 3:01 pm

No. Once I finally get Megid (after hours and hours of grinding), I'm almost ready to throw the game against the wall.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Thoul » Sun Feb 20, '11, 12:23 am

Nope, I can't say I ever hit the cap on this one. Grinding is something I've never really enjoyed in games very much. It requires a lot of time, so I tend to avoid it in favor of going on to something new, like another game. I don't mind some grinding, but extra work just to reach a level cap never sat too well with me.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Feb 20, '11, 12:47 am

With Nei certainly because I always want to kill Neifirst with her. With the others probably once, but that is not an enjoyable thing to do. It is just that I like PSII too much to do that :p
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby PSP » Sun Feb 20, '11, 1:29 am

I did, ages and ages ago. It was just something I did for kicks, and since you couldn't save with the Game Genie I didn't bother cheating (yes, this was on a real Genesis kiddies).
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby Tanith » Sun Feb 20, '11, 3:05 am

Yep. I had the game at least lurking in the background throughout most of the 1990s. I'd pick away at it a little at a time. I've never done solos before, though. They're just not my thang.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby hugues » Sun Feb 20, '11, 5:56 pm

I'm sure I thought about trying at some point but gave up early on.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Erpy » Tue Mar 29, '11, 10:13 pm

Not really. PS2's characters (Nei being the exception) level rather slowly and the enemies in the final dungeon don't exactly give out-of-the-ordinary experience (in fact, several of the enemies were first encountered 4 dungeons earlier), which makes max-levelling even more tedious. Last time I played I got Rolf to 35 and the rest to 30...and that was already going very, very slowly. It's not like anyone gets any exciting new techniques beyond that level.
Erpy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 26

Postby Wanderer From Ys » Mon Dec 26, '11, 2:19 am

I did it on the XBLA version because there was a leaderboard for it. Unfortunately it's been hacked since, and it's incredibly broken anyway. Basically once you hit 35 with Rolf, it's easy. What I did was kill off all of my characters except Rolf, so he got 4x exp. My leveling spot was in Noah. 1 Megid ends any random battle, so just do that 1 or 2 times, then use the Neisword to return to Lutz, and have him restore you. Rinse, repeat. The whole process, from level 28, when I finished the game, to max exp, which is quite a bit higher than level 50 took around 8 hours.
Wanderer From Ys
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 18

Postby Fogeltje » Mon Dec 26, '11, 11:15 am

I only levelled Nei to level 50 because because I wanted to beat Neifirst. I fought self-replicating blasters until I hit the XP cap to gain her last ten levels at once.
Last edited by Fogeltje on Mon Dec 26, '11, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Next

Return to Phantasy Star II