Downloadable PS2 and Dreamcast games?

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Downloadable PS2 and Dreamcast games?

Postby Thoul » Tue Sep 22, '09, 10:37 pm

This morning, Sega allegedly leaked a document containing notes of a recent meeting between Sega and Sony. This may or may not be real, but if it is, there are several interesting ventures the two companies are discussing. Among them are the possibility of PlayStation 2 and Dreamcast games going up for download on the PlayStation Network and a large Sonic game collection. There's even mention of some Japan-only titles going up in an import section.

What do you think, is this a real leaked document or a complete hoax? If it is real, could this be a chance for some of the Japan only Phantasy Star titles to get releases worldwide?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Downloadable PS2 and Dreamcast games?

Postby hugues » Sun Sep 27, '09, 4:08 am

Thoul wrote:What do you think, is this a real leaked document or a complete hoax? If it is real, could this be a chance for some of the Japan only Phantasy Star titles to get releases worldwide?

I suspect it's probably real but contains tentative information. It's all totally believable. If the PS3 can emulate the DC then why not release games as downloadable content?

I don't see any new Phantasy Star releases coming out of it though. PSO on PS3 wouldn't make sense without modifying it to be offline-only. Sounds like getting the import version of Shemue 2 for DC would be a remote possibility though.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Thoul » Sun Sep 27, '09, 10:58 pm

For Phantasy Star, I was mainly thinking about the Generation games, since they were on the PS2. I agree about PSO (no way Sega or Sony will run a server for it), but it might be a good way to finally get the Generations or Complete Collection over here.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Darkil » Thu Oct 15, '09, 1:41 pm

Sounds great for PS3 owners but why no love for the 360 owners?
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 15, '09, 9:22 pm

Based on the document, Sony wants to have exclusive DC releases. Some games might show up on the 360 too, but Sony is trying to cut out the competition on this deal. Maybe Sega will have a similar meeting with Microsoft to find out what Dreamcast games, if any, Microsoft wants to have on the 360.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Return to In the News