Results of My 5K Race

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Results of My 5K Race

Postby S4Blade » Mon Apr 28, '14, 1:08 am

Well I did my 5K race yesterday morning, with a friend of mine from work. It was a fund raiser event for Autism Awareness, and it was held in a town close to where I live. I did the same event last year and did pretty well, but I didn't really run as hard as I could have, and I kind of just did it to do it.

This year, I didn't have much time to prepare, and I was only going to the gym about 1 to 2 times per week in the weeks leading up to it. So I didn't have high hopes for my upcoming performance.

Much to my surprise, I did very well, and ended up taking first place in my age group 30-39 (I know I'm old). The interesting thing is that I ran the 5K in 21:15, which is two minutes better than I have ever run one in. That's almost (if not) 7 minute miles, which I've never been able to do in my life, even when I was much younger and in much better shape.

On top of that, overall I was the 6th person to cross the finish line, and there were a lot of younger people there, so I was not expecting to do so well.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm gloating, but this is really a big motivator for me. The past few years I've been working out and going through the motions, but now I see that I can do very well in 5K races if I really try. I have another 5K coming up in May (a fund raiser for the Hospital I work at), and I think I'm going to start ramping up my workout regime to try to win that as well (I took third place in my age group last year).

I'm still really shocked by the whole thing, and I wasn't expecting to do so well since I have not been training hard, but who knows. I'm going to start my new training regime tomorrow after work, and I hope it goes well, and no old injuries crop up to haunt me.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Results of My 5K Race

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Apr 28, '14, 3:26 am

That's pretty awesome, VistaBlade. Congrats to you, for running in the event at all, doing so well and for doing it for a good cause! :applause:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Apr 28, '14, 5:00 am

Major congrats, VistaBlade, that is seriously impressive! I don't think I could run a mile at all at this point, so running 5K in that time is pretty enviable!
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Apr 28, '14, 7:01 am

Congratulations Vistablade on doing so well in this past race and mostly for being motivated to keeping healthy and fit. Good luck in the upcoming race also. :clap:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby S4Blade » Mon Apr 28, '14, 5:15 pm

Thank you for the kind words. They will give me even more motivation. Hopefully I can stay on track with all of the things going on in my life.
Last edited by S4Blade on Mon Apr 28, '14, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Mon Apr 28, '14, 9:24 pm

I'm a bit late but congratulations ! Nice race and great rank, congrats ! :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby jessie » Tue Apr 29, '14, 3:00 pm

Wow! Congrats!! Great cause!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Numan
Numan

Postby Hukos » Tue Apr 29, '14, 10:13 pm

Bragatyr wrote:Major congrats, VistaBlade, that is seriously impressive! I don't think I could run a mile at all at this point, so running 5K in that time is pretty enviable!

I think if I really pushed myself, I could run a half-mile but that's it.

On the other hand, late congratulations on the accomplishment!
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby S4Blade » Wed Apr 30, '14, 12:34 am

Thanks for the additional comments. I appreciate it. My workouts have been going pretty well so far this week. I actually feel like I have a purpose when I get to the gym now, and I'm not just going through the motions. I increased the intensity of my running on the treadmill by a lot, and I'm pushing myself harder than I have in years.

When I was at work today I checked the date of my next race, and it's only three weeks away, so I don't have as much time as I thought I did, but that's okay. Maybe it will be a good thing, going into the next race on my temporary high from the last one. It's a pretty big event, so I will have more competition at this upcoming race. Hopefully I can do well, now that I'm much more focused than I was before.
Last edited by S4Blade on Wed Apr 30, '14, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Wed Apr 30, '14, 12:09 pm

VISTABLADE : Try not to force too much ! But good luck in advance for your next race ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Next

Return to Casual Conversation