Rent or Buy?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Rent or Buy?

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 9, '09, 4:43 pm

There are always new games coming out. When you get interested in playing one for the first time, who do you get it? Do you buy the game, rent it, borrow it from a friend, or test it out in some other way? How about those demos some stores put up where a game can be played briefly by customers?

Let's face it, new games can be pretty expensive at $50+ on those for the major consoles. Some of them can be finished in a single rental, which is considerably less expensive. So, how do you get the most bang for your gaming buck?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Rent or Buy?

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Aug 9, '09, 8:36 pm

Depends on the game. Games I'm interested in, but not TOTALLY sure I'll like I try to rent it first, or borrow it from a friend, to give it a spin. If I'm confident I will like the game, I buy it right off if I can afford it. Otherwise, I'll borrow/rent it or get it later when the price comes down or people start returning used copies.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lucas » Mon Aug 10, '09, 8:39 am

The last game I rented was Capcom vs. SNK 2 back in 2004 for PS2. Sure I own game now but usually rather than renting a game I would look it up on the net and read a few reviews etc...

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Mon Aug 10, '09, 5:15 pm

For my part, I used to rent games all the time back in the 8-bit and 16-bit generations. Ever since the advent of the Playstation, I've cut back on renting a lot. Now I tend to wait for a lowered price or a game to get into the used market, then just buy it. I don't try out many games like in the old days.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Celeith » Tue Aug 11, '09, 12:51 am

Usually for me I actually just Youtube it for scenes, gameplay, ect, only cuz if I rent the game I'm not gonna want to give it back if I like it, or if I hate it I'll feel like I wasted my money.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby AJS » Sun Aug 16, '09, 7:37 pm

It depends for me.

Some I know I want so just buy.

Some I'm not sure about so will rent first and then buy if I want to keep playing. :)
AJS
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 7

Postby itsbobtista » Tue Aug 18, '09, 6:09 am

Right now I rent from GameFly. I don't make enough money to shell out 60 bucks for a AAA game every week. Hopefully, if my own website picks up, publishers will be sending me video games for me to review. Keep your fingers crossed lol
itsbobtista
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 9

Postby Ashes226 » Thu Oct 15, '09, 5:08 pm

Googled it. I haven't been getting any games as of recent. The newest game I've purchased is Halo 3: ODST, and I'm so glad I did buy it.
Ashes226
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 7

Postby PathfinderCS » Sun Oct 25, '09, 6:24 am

Thoul wrote:For my part, I used to rent games all the time back in the 8-bit and 16-bit generations. Ever since the advent of the Playstation, I've cut back on renting a lot. Now I tend to wait for a lowered price or a game to get into the used market, then just buy it. I don't try out many games like in the old days.

That actually sounds a LOT like me. I remember renting NES and Genesis games constantly, but a few years before I got the PSX, I just stopped. Anymore I don't rent games as there are no nearby renters to rent from here in rural West Virginia. In Charleston yes, but the drive isn't worth renting. Besides, if I am unhappy with a game, I can just return it.
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Postby Thoul » Sun Oct 25, '09, 7:14 am

The lack of good rental places is also a factor for me, too. There's actually like three places here (Blockbuster and two Movie Galleries), but they have horrible selections.

Back in the day, we had two locally owned stores - Rocket Video and Movie Shack. Rocket had a great selection up until the PSX came out. They only put out a handful of PSX games, so they lost the gamer crowd and went out of business. Movie Shack used to have an awesome stock too, but it sold out to become one of the Movie Gallery chain stores and now they stock mostly lousy games with one or two gems.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to General Gaming