PSO: BB - Officially goes offline... and no one notices.

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

PSO: BB - Officially goes offline... and no one notices.

Postby Tweeg » Tue Jan 11, '11, 2:55 pm

So, since I've got yet another day off due to idy conditions I decided to start catching up on my backlog of e-mails by beginniing with the PSO BB newsletters from Sega of Japan, starting with the most recent one. Was not expecting what I found.

The phinal newsletter is announcing that the Memorial Page for PSO is now online. Apparently, one week after the PSO 10th Anniversary celebration event on PSO: BB PSO: BB was officially shut down. Not to go off topic, but this explains why Schtack's PSO: BB server suddenly went offline and has been down since.

Sadly they've replaced the PSO: BB site with the PSO: BB Memorial site, thus making it impossible to collect any of the downloadable goodies that you may or may not have already saved. Pretty sure I missed the last two or three online manga's they released.

So to sum this all up. Based on the somewhat rough translation, Sega closed the last official PSO servers on December 27th, 2010.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Re: PSO: BB - Officially goes offline... and no one notices.

Postby tilinelson2 » Tue Jan 11, '11, 5:46 pm

I've heard these news before. I was not playing PSO, I didn't pay much attention. Unfortunately they shut down the page as well, that is sad news for all PSO fans.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Thoul » Tue Jan 11, '11, 7:38 pm

It's sad to see PSO finally shut down for good, but not very unexpected with a sequel having been announced. Ten years is an amazing run for any online game. It's too bad that Sega shut the site down, though. I'm a bit puzzled by that one. They've left all the other old, outdated PSO sites up.

I think Schtack's problem is unrelated. From a quick glance at their forums, it seems they're suffering from a denial of service attack. I imagine they'll be back up eventually.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby xellos667 » Wed Jan 19, '11, 1:57 pm

I thought it was already a miracle that PSO was still surviving to this day. Show you how the japanese players can be dedicated to a game, and how Sega of Japan help them continue to play....unlike Sega of America and Europe who like to shutdown everything before the online content is even fully available to the players.

But with PSO2 nearing, I guess this was the logical thing to do. You can be sure that the entire japanse PSO:BB community will jump on the PSO2 wagon as soon as it's there
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Return to Phantasy Star General