Remembering those "classic" video games

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Remembering those "classic" video games

Postby Rune_Walsh » Mon Jan 11, '10, 8:30 pm

I was checking out video game play on youtube and came across a couple of old favorites. Does anybody remember "Lord of the Sword" for the Sega master system? It's a bit like Zelda in storyline with several differences, such as the game setting (and format). Great game, though... I was thinking of getting it off eBay.

Another great one is "Friday the 13th" for classic Nintendo. Man, that game used to scare me!

Lastly, "Eternal Champions"... I love this one more than Mortal Kombat.

Anyone remember these games? And what are some of your favorite classics?

:D
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Re: Remembering those "classic" video games

Postby Thoul » Mon Jan 11, '10, 9:12 pm

I remember seeing ads for Eternal Champions in magazines, but that's the limit of my memories on those three titles. :lol:

Back in the day, most of my favorites were on the SNES. There was Zelda 3, Chrono Trigger, and the other rpgs. To be honest though, I can't recall too many specifics from those years.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby MrKite » Wed Jan 13, '10, 12:36 am

Rune_Walsh wrote:I was checking out video game play on youtube and came across a couple of old favorites. Does anybody remember "Lord of the Sword" for the Sega master system? It's a bit like Zelda in storyline with several differences, such as the game setting (and format). Great game, though... I was thinking of getting it off eBay.

Another great one is "Friday the 13th" for classic Nintendo. Man, that game used to scare me!

Lastly, "Eternal Champions"... I love this one more than Mortal Kombat.

Anyone remember these games? And what are some of your favorite classics?

:D

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I've heard of Lord of the Sword or not, but there was this other Zelda-type of game on the TurboGrafx 16 called Neutopia, that I've been wanting to hunt down.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Lucas » Wed Jan 13, '10, 3:29 am

I have heard of Lord of the Sword before but I have never played it. My favourite classic game would definitely be Yoshi’s Island on SNES :D . The original Super Mario Bros. on the NES was also quite fun. So was Athena but that game was very hard the Arcade version also looked a lot better but was just as difficult. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Abominae » Wed Jan 13, '10, 9:08 pm

The Guardian Legend
Abominae
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 27

Postby Darkil » Thu Jan 14, '10, 1:27 pm

I loved Friday the 13th! Still scares me to this day but it's awesome! Anyone remember Solar Jetman for the NES?
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sun Jan 17, '10, 12:34 am

Thoul, Kite, Lucas, you guys would like Lord of the Sword if you like Zelda. Here's a play of it so you can see what it's like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDucvW316yQ

It has a Lord of the Rings feel to it, with ent-like creatures you talk to. You fight with a sword and a bow, traveling though forests and villages.

Darkil, I'm definitely with you on Friday the 13th; that game is scary even to this day; I think it's the music and, of course, Jason popping up suddenly trying to get you. :lol: It would be cool if it were remade for the Wii or XBox.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Lucas » Sun Jan 17, '10, 4:48 am

@ Rune: It reminds me of Spellcaster which was also available on the Sega Master System. :hmm:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Darkil » Mon Jan 25, '10, 1:29 pm

It'd be nice to see a remake or a sequel to Maniac Mansion on the current gen systems. I loved goofing around in that game!
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Espiga » Mon Jan 25, '10, 11:36 pm

I'm pretty well-versed in silly, obscure to semi-obscure retro games, so here's a few I'd suggest checking out:

The Ys series: With gameplay similar to Zelda (although with less focus on puzzles and more on combat and leveling), and starring a red-haired swordsman named Adol Christin, the Ys games have been released on a multitude of platforms. The best ones were released on TurboGrafx-CD as Ys Books I + II. Also, if you speak Japanese or have access to the translation patch floating about, there's an amazing entry in the series called Ys: The Oath in Felghana (Released for Windows PC) which is actually a complete overhaul of the third game in the series.

El Viento: A Sega Genesis (aka Mega Drive) side-scrolling action/adventure title, El Viento's claim to fame was its GIANT boss battles, which were often so large and pixelated that, well, you couldn't really tell what they were. Fun game though.

Seirei Senshi Spriggan: It's a TurboGrafx-CD Shmup that you can get fairly cheaply on eBay, as far as Turbo shmups go. Also, it has a rockin' soundtrack and a pretty cool weapons progression system where your combination of different coloured crystals that you collect determine your weapon type.

Jimmu Densyou: This game actually sucks. A LOT. However, it's one of those games that's hilariously bad. It's a Space Harrier clone where, instead of playing as a * futuristic space-dude, you fill the role of a lone samurai warrior, attempting to survive in a shooting game environment...with a sword.

Shadow Brain: This game is fresh in my mind simply because I recently helped a friend of mine over at another website with translating certain parts of this into English. It's a Japan-only NES First-Person RPG (think Wizardry, or even Phantasy Star 1's dungeons), but unlike games like Wizardry, Shadow Brain takes place in a very Cyberpunk setting, with a heavy emphasis on technology, even with places like Hacker City. The final area has you going into cyberspace itself and defeating a nasty virus that plagues the world!

Rudra no Hihou: This is a Squaresoft RPG that was released right around the same time as Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger. However, unlike those two games, Rudra no Hihou featured a turn-based battle system in which you could modify the order in which participants took their turn, which would affect when monsters would attack as well. (For example, if you set your slowest person to attack first, then all the monsters faster than that slowest person would attack before your party had a chance to). It also had a system that allowed you to create your own spells by putting together katakana characters, with the characters you use determining the effect of the spell. Because of this reason, it was never released outside of Japan. However, a group of fairly dedicated ROMhackers successfully hacked the system and made it compatible with the English alphabet, translated the entire game, and released a patch that can be placed on the Japanese ROM, if emulation is your thing.

This is just a few of the games from the top of my head. I'm actively trying not to list things that are hugely known, like Chrono Trigger or anything in the Tales series.
The filesize rules are way too small for my sig, so click here to see it instead. :(
Espiga
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 17

Next

Return to Retro Roundup