Remakes

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Remakes

Postby Thoul » Wed May 13, '09, 8:01 pm

Game companies love to return to their most popular games and remake them for new systems. There are tons of them, especially for RPGs - the Phantasy Star Generation games, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, and Lunar just to name a few. What remakes have you really enjoyed? Are there any games you'd like to see remade in the future?

This topic is inspired by recent news that Lunar is getting another remake for the PSP. It was already ported/remade for the original PlayStation, but the developer is going to visit it again.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Remakes

Postby Celeith » Sat May 23, '09, 4:17 am

Late reaction to this but OMG!!!! LUNAR!!!! FINALLY!!!! *dies* I can't wait.. I'll import if i must.. I want this game so bad.. I'm gonna go play my original right now!!!
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Lamanai » Sat May 23, '09, 4:24 am

I'm playing the PS1 Lunar right now (for the first time, actually) and while I think it's a really good game, I'm still confused at why they're making a fourth version of it. :eyebrow: The updated sprites look pretty though.

In general, I usually enjoy remakes as long as they keep the feeling/intent of the original games.
Lamanai
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby Lemina » Sat May 23, '09, 1:41 pm

Kaloes wrote:Late reaction to this but OMG!!!! LUNAR!!!! FINALLY!!!! *dies* I can't wait.. I'll import if i must.. I want this game so bad.. I'm gonna go play my original right now!!!

Same here~~

I generally like remakes if they didn't distort the original game too much. Although I did love Tales of Destiny: The Remake and it was vastly different from the original psx version. Hmm.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Schala Zeal » Sat May 23, '09, 2:54 pm

Thoul wrote:This topic is inspired by recent news that Lunar is getting another remake for the PSP. It was already ported/remade for the original PlayStation, but the developer is going to visit it again.

One of my favorite games of all time is getting another remake. MUST. BUY. That reminds me, I have to play Lunar 2 sometime. I still haven't made it very far in that game. D:

One of my favorite remakes is Tales of Destiny for the PS2 (remake of a PSX game). Phantasy Star Generation 1 was also pretty awesome, but I haven't made it very far in that game yet. Though some of me still prefers the old versions. :rofl: A lot of remakes that I've played were new experiences to me since I didn't play the original versions. D:
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Darkil » Sat May 23, '09, 5:59 pm

It they're updating the older game to make it work with the most recent tech then I'm all for it. If they just add a few new color's and nothing else then I don't really get into it [lately I haven't seen any remakes go that way but back in the heyday of the psx....bleh (with a few exceptions, Lunar being one of them)]. For example I never imported PS Generation 1 but when I saw those screens of the remake for the PS2, I swooned.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby hugues » Wed May 27, '09, 2:13 am

I missed out on so many of the great SNES RPGs when they were new. It was a combination of having no money and being more of a Genesis fan. Lately I've been collecting all of the Square-Enix remakes for GBA and DS to make up for it. In that regard I'm thrilled about remakes, it's given me a chance to play some classic 16-bit RPGs without having to overpay for them on ebay. Although I suppose I'd be just as happy playing them in their original form on a new system (i.e. on Virtual Console or a collection).

Sometimes it seems like it's getting a little bit out of hand. Lunar and Ys Book I&II are two of my favorite games, I played the remakes on GBA and DS respectively. However, when I saw the news they were getting PSP remakes my reaction was "OK, enough already".

I can't help but wonder if this is a sign that game companies don't want to spend money developing new ideas right now. If so, that would be a very negative consequence to these remakes. Someone has to take a chance and invent the next great RPG instead of rehashing old ones over and over again.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Thoul » Sun May 31, '09, 3:32 am

Those of you interested in the PSP Lunar remake will be glad to know it is confirmed to be coming out in the US, like past versions. XSeed is bringing it over; they're getting a good reputation for this sort of thing.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby DrkTr14ce » Sun May 31, '09, 10:07 am

When it comes to remakes, there are times when it seems like enough is enough. For example, how many different versions of Final Fantasy I and II do we really need? And did we honestly need that Chrono Trigger port for the DS?

But there are times that, when a company is smart, a remake turns into something superior, if not equal, to the original, be it updating the graphics (Going 'Hi-res' or to 3-D altogether), adding in a large amount of new content, and possibly even tweaking functions that would work better in modern days. The closest examples I can think of right now would be Megaman: Powered Up (PSP, probably not the proper title.) or SF II Turbo HD Remix.

As for games I'd like to see remade...well, farfetched as the idea goes, I wouldn't mind seeing a real remake of Doom I and II. (There are fan-versions out there called Doom 3 Classic, which uses Doom 3 and map designs from the first two games. Looks quite fun.) The only other game I wouldn't mind seeing again, and this is about as plausible as Duke Nukem Forever being released before I have kids, is Zombies Ate my Neighbors.
<RANT>
Now, I'm sure most of you have heard me rant on about this over in the 'Games you haven't heard of' topic, and I still stand with my opinion. With an update of graphics (In the manner of SFIIT HD Remix), adding in the 'Hacked Levels' that a fan made (which would nearly double the level total.), and perhaps updating the gameplay a bit, and it might be a worthy game for a company these days to invest in. Though then again, when the original creator of the game tried asking someone from LucasArts (who originally made the game back in the 90's) for the rights, they were unaware that they had made that game. Sort of sad, really. Rant over. You can look now. </RANT>
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Lemina » Mon Jun 1, '09, 4:30 am

Thoul wrote:Those of you interested in the PSP Lunar remake will be glad to know it is confirmed to be coming out in the US, like past versions. XSeed is bringing it over; they're getting a good reputation for this sort of thing.

Glad to hear that it's coming to the US! I'm a little afraid of hearing new English voice acting, however. I'm so attached to the old voice acting still.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Next

Return to Tech and Design