Remakes

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Re: Remakes

Postby Snorb » Mon Jun 1, '09, 5:26 am

DrkTr14ce wrote:And did we honestly need that Chrono Trigger port for the DS?

Yes. XD

Why remake games? Simple: Developer Name Here loves your money! Developer doesn't want to take the time to develop or take a risk on a new intellectual property/franchise, so they take what worked in the past, tweak it, give it a graphical facelift, and voila, Your Money!

(Note: Cynical gamer/wannabe writer who spent the last eight years working for what he essentially calls THE CORPORATION, so yeah, I guess I'm a bit jaded when it comes to Big Business.)

Now... what would I love to see remade? Starflight. Greatly expand the universe, make the alien races more varied (accents don't count!) and actually remember what you did to them in the past. This is one of the few games 3D would work wonders with- ship-to-ship combat and planet exploration would look nice. Imagine the myriad alien landscapes to be seen!

One Must Fall 2097, the best fighting game ever made. No, wait, there was a remake/sequel called One Must Fall Battlegrounds, and it SUCKED *. Nice music, though.

Zone 66. Overhead scrolling shooter with a lot of selectable planes but only schmucks/the daring use anything that isn't the DFA Bomber, massive levels, and lots of things shooting back at you. I think I said the entire last level of the game is one of the hardest bosses ever in a previous topic. Actually, no, this game doesn't need a remake at all. It just needs the game-crippling bug in Mission 2 fixed.

I'm sure I'll think of more games that I'd like remade later.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Re: Remakes

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jun 1, '09, 3:18 pm

I guess I can understand remakes, especially for old games that have long been out of print. It's a good way to introduce new people to an old franchise. But I just some get WAAAAY overdone. Drk already pointed out most of them.

For what I'd like to see remade...um...*points to signature.* And having Mother 1 remade and BROUGHT OVER TO THE STATES would be kind of nice too. I'd also say Mother 3, but it's only 3 years old, so...a little too early for a remake.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Previous

Return to Tech and Design