Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Redbox closings
PostPosted: Sat May 24, '14, 7:16 am 
Redbox to close over 500 of their items:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/23/57452 ... -this-year

We have several of these in our area. Although we have never used one of them as we just buy our DVD's new, etc., when we want to watch something. Still, I hope they aren't closing here as this is the only way some people may have to rent/watch movies since all the other movie rental places have closed here, including Blockbuster Video, etc.

Post subject: Re: Redbox closings
PostPosted: Sat May 24, '14, 3:47 pm 
Never used them, never intend to. Our chromecast and a Netflix subscription gives us all the movies/TV we want, and for the stuff we do want to own, we get blu-rays.

Sorry to say, but I feel like the physical rental of movies and games is gradually becoming a relic of the past as digital streaming and downloads take over. It's a changing market/culture, and I think it's the big reason Blockbuster and similar companies have basically vanished, and Redbox seems to be on Blockbuster's heels.

Sad, but that's what happens in a world of fast-changing technology.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, '14, 4:49 pm 
Yes, it's the same here : physical renting for dvds and other types are really a relic from the past now...the world is really changing at a fast pace ! Here in France, there is a lot of ancient dvd distributors like this but they are all out of function...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, '14, 3:59 am 
I have never used a Redbox, in fact I can't remember the last time I rented a game or a movie. Digital solutions are making these obsolete. Why restrict yourself to the available options in a phone booth sized box when you can have access to entire catalogues of titles on digital services?

Last edited by S4Blade on Sun May 25, '14, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, '14, 7:01 pm 
Yeah, there are several Redboxes around here but I never used them. I looked a time or two and wasn't impressed with the selection, but that may just be me. I'd prefer to rent from a brick and mortar store, but digital has already killed that. Stores just can't keep up with the much lower prices that digital sports.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 7, '14, 12:56 am 
I rented from one of them one time. It was The Hangover Part III that I rented. When I went to return it, the thing got stuck in the slot, and I was worried they were gonna charge my debit card extra. It got resolved, but still. I haven't used one since.

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]