What would their special attacks be?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

What would their special attacks be?

Postby Thoul » Sun May 23, '10, 8:22 pm

In Phantasy Star:generation 2, each character has a new special skill that can be used in battle after charging up. Limit breaks, essentially. If PSIII and PSIV had been remade with the same feature, what limit breaks do you think each character would have? Let's even include PSI, since Generation 1 didn't have that feature.

As PSP mentioned, I think it would have been good for Chaz to get a special that calls up all the past heroes -including Alys - for an attack (possibly with bonus healing from Amy's turn).

Lyle could transform into a dragon for his special, though that might not go over so well with Rhys. :lol:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: What would their special attacks be?

Postby Solar » Sun May 23, '10, 8:37 pm

I think some of the strongest attacks would be turned in to their limit breaks. For example, Wren's would be Positron Bolt. Of course, he doesn't have that until late in the game, before that could be something else. I'm kind of lacking imagination right now.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby SirJason » Mon May 24, '10, 12:19 am

Thoul . . . by these special charged attacks, do you mean they have 'X' number of uses (like the skills in PSIV) or did they use MP/TP? I never played PS Generations 2.
SirJason
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 16

Postby Tanith » Mon May 24, '10, 12:20 am

I'd imagine Myau would have a special healing skill, maybe something to do with the "musk" in musk cat. Maybe the musk is effectively moon dew, star mist, etc.

Speaking of calling up past heroes, perhaps Laya Younger could call upon the powers of her sister.

Raja could tell enemies jokes bad enough to stun or kill them.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby PSP » Mon May 24, '10, 1:15 am

SirJason wrote:Thoul . . . by these special charged attacks, do you mean they have 'X' number of uses (like the skills in PSIV) or did they use MP/TP? I never played PS Generations 2.

I'll handle that question, since I own the game also.

Similar to Final Fantasy's "Limit Break" system, each character has a bar that enables them to use a special skill when it's filled. Nekomimi84 has videos of all of them, and more from the remakes, on her Youtube channel.
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby Lyla2284 » Mon May 24, '10, 8:15 am

That's exactly what I'm implementing in my game. Actually, everything that's been dreamed of or that was possible, has been included. I always thought of using the Combination Attacks as Overdrives/Limit breaks so the player wouldn't spam them as often. Plus, the bar resets if a char gets K'Od... Hair-pulling moments. *starts cursing in fury*

As Thoul mentioned above, there is an attack that conjures up the spirits of the fallen, and it's called Spirit Cannon. :D I implemented it about half a year ago. Note: Not related to the original games.

As for Generation Two, I've never played any of the remakes, so I wouldn't really know much about them. The artwork alone is enough to put me off... But that's just me.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby SirJason » Mon May 24, '10, 2:50 pm

Thanks for explaining PSP . . .

It's a cool idea (taking damage then unleashing an Ultimate attack when the bar is filled).

Rune's ultimate attack could be where he conjurs up the spirit of the 4 previous Lutz's for an ultimate Legeon attack.

Rika's ultimate attack could be where she calls on Mieu/Nei/Myau for what I'd call . . Cat Scratch Fever.
SirJason
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 16

Postby OhNoHumans » Thu Jun 17, '10, 2:19 am

Raja's sounds great. This would kind of remind me of the brewer guy in the first Mario & Luigi RPG, in some weird way. So alternatively, it could enrage Chaz or something, and he gets a boost to attack and defence, or max his attack, whatever it might be. (Although actually that sounds more like something from Evolution.)

What would Odin's be? Maybe use his shield to deflect all of the damage for that round? (And it gets priority.) It wouldn't be all that useful until he gets Mirror Shield, which would let him repel magic. But it could be paired up with Wall/Protect on the turn you think they'd go down so you conserve more MP. Or even just useful for the enemies that strike right through.
"...Please don't look at me that way. It's not nice."
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 9

Postby Oakley2284 » Thu Jun 17, '10, 3:13 am

Maybe Gryz can do a One shot kill on normal monster or on a boss with 100% accurancy =D

No just kidding :lol:
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby Tanith » Thu Jun 17, '10, 3:36 am

OhNoHumans wrote:What would Odin's be? Maybe use his shield to deflect all of the damage for that round? (And it gets priority.) It wouldn't be all that useful until he gets Mirror Shield, which would let him repel magic. But it could be paired up with Wall/Protect on the turn you think they'd go down so you conserve more MP. Or even just useful for the enemies that strike right through.
This reminds me of Lynx-O's shield from Thundercats. Enemy attacks bounce off the shield and reflect back at them, so in essence his shield is also his weapon (he's blind, if I recall correctly). That would be a very cool special attack for Odin. I feel kind of bad for Odin, being underpowered in PSI. Was that corrected in the gen1 version?
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Next

Return to Classic Series